• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need info to start M944A1 for recovery from Rock Island

Mark3395

Well, I've got the 944 paid for and am starting prep for recovery. Will first try to drive it out.

All the maintenance records were in the cab and it looks like it was serviceable when it was last driven. My intent is to replace fluids, batteries, and tires and fire it up and drive it away. The 10 years it's been sitting give me pause to ask smarter folks than I for help. Have got the -10 manual and all the manuals for the M800 series trucks with the NHC250 engine, but don't know if that info pertains to the 939 series, or particularly to the M944. Ya never know what was changed for that puppie.

1. Does anybody have any manuals peculiar to the 944? It's not covered in the 939 series manual. Nothing shows how to use the gear in the back end. Looks like a big generator back there that's tied to the engine.

2. What oil and fuel filters are correct for this truck?

3. I figure 10 year old oil is pretty well digested by bacteria by now and it needs to go. No problem. But what about tranny fluid? I can't change the fluids out at Rock Island, but need to do so sooner than later.

At least the oil doesn't have crawly things in it.

4. What tranny fluid is best? I expect new fluids have replaced what was used a decade ago.

5. Will 1100-20 wheels and tires from an M800 series 5 ton fit on the hubs of the M944? I've got a lot of flats and want to put on some substitutes just to get 30 miles home.

And by the way, I should get 7 1400R20 tires for this thing. Who's got some?

6. What other advice do you have? I've recovered a fair number o trucks, but nothing bit that's been sitting for a decade.

3 miles was put on it a decade ago between departure from Ohio and around Rock Island. Still has less than 2000 miles on it.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend that you get it shipped. Who knows what could be wrong with a truck that has been sitting for 10 years?!?! The trucks were in IL...you are in IL (although I have not MAPQUESTed the directions)...how far could it possibly be? You will need a detach. I don't even think a trailer like a Landoll will be low enough to haul the truck. Worst case scenario is you pay $2-3/mile. You will sleep more easily if you get it shipped. Sure, it will cost some $$$. With the truck in your driveway, you can really go over the thing to make sure it is roadworthy. Regardless of the fact that this makes the most sense, I am CERTAIN that you will have a few guys who will be along shortly who will encourage you to take your chances. Good luck.

Mark3395

Thanks or the suggestion Bruce. It makes sense.

I've got a fellow going over it now, and a call into somebody who can pull it. It's only about 35 miles to my Motor Pool. I have a wrecker but it isn't yet licensed or insured so that's out.

I've read the maintenace log in detail and am confident it was serviceable a decade ago, but ya never know what dry rot has slipped into lines and belts.

The main problem re towing remains the 5 flats on the ground. Gotta get rubber under it.

I don't think height is a problem for a flatbed, but will surely check that.

Mark

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tranny takes Dexron. I have owned trucks that had 10W oil in them when I got them and they came out of military service. I have been told that 10W and Dexron are basically the same except for some additives. While the trucks with 10W in them shifted fine, Allison recommends Dexron. I always use Dexron.

1100s on the standard 5 ton rims should work just fine. The only difference between the M939 and the M939A1s are the super single rims. This means that you can bring any M939 up to A1 standards simply by singling it out. I have done it and it also means that both work on your truck.

Earth

I'm with Bruce all the way on having it shipped home. I would do it that way without even thinking about it. Too many things could fail or spew or seize up or fail to conduct or whatever. 10 years is a long time.

Earth

Mark3395

Thanks Papercu.

I'll see if I can conjure up a manual. It's hard to believe that they're restricted. It's all conventional stuff, and out of date now at that.

We visited the truck today and got it started, of all things. Was cold out and took a little ether, but eventually started. We had smoke from the beginning. It sounds great despite the fact that I don't trust the fuel. I'd wanted to drain the fuel and put in new, but the screen is frozen in place, and the tank is full. Smells a bit like varnish but not horrible.

I got lot xx25. Not as many tools as 23, or good tires, but the cab cover was solid and the cab isn't nearly as ratty. Windows are good. It's a great truck. I started pulling out some of the tools. A used electric impact wrench and a new 1" socket set that's brand new. More importantly, I removed what manuals were in place. Mostly for tools.

Mark

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like a neat truck, Mark. I have bid on a few of them over the years, but never seriously enough to get one. I always wanted one for a mobile SS recovery truck. Please post up lots of pics when you get a chance. There are a few guys on here that have the SEORTM trucks. Maybe they will chime in with some advice on the tools and genset.

papercu

It's hard to believe that they're restricted.
Not to hard, the -10 for the M35A2 is restricted while the -10 for the Huey is not.
Truck looks good and you should have fun going though all the stuff in back. Wayne

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations, Mark. Glad to hear that the truck is a runner, although I am sure you were planning on that. I bet you got a great truck. The worst thing about these M939 series trucks...and it is a pain in the butt...is the air system. There is nothing wrong with it, but valves tend to corrode or fail, often times from moisture (rust). I have had trucks that would not build up air, others that would not build up secondary air, others where the low air buzzer would not turn off even though the air was built up, and other trucks where the brakes would not release even though the air was built up. All problems were rectified, but that is one of the reasons I suggested getting it shipped home. These trucks are MUCH more complex than an M809 series truck and that is one of its downfalls. There are so many things that could present gremlin situations. Good luck!

Mark3395

Tanks for the comments guys.

I went through the documents and found the -14 manual for the van. If I can't get hold of a later electronic version I'll scan this one and post it to the site. The M939 manual works for the automotive portion.

It appears tht I got the rare canvas for the van. The vans were used surrounded by 4 big sections of canvas that formed a tent work area. Haven't checked to see if I have the poles on the top of the van.

Thanks for the caution re brakes. One of my concerns with the new vehicles is that their complexity increases their NORS/NORM (NOT OPERATIONALLY READY SUPPLY OR NOT OPERATIONALLY READY MAINTENANCE) rates. Simplifying life for the operator adds cost and more stuff to break. Even if downtime actually decreases with new models, the support tail may increase in dollars. I don't know yet wheter the new trucks are actually better than a simpler truck would be.