• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some advice

M1009 Fiend

When to Napa today ans spent a bunch of $$$, but now i have some questions.

First will autolite asp 1110 glowplugs work, that is what the guy at napa gave me but i dont think they will work. Can anyone give me the correct part number to take to napa to order them.

Second do you guys think this starter solenoid will work for me its not the st 80 but the guy said it would work.

And last found this valve in the on the rubber hose coming from the transmission (TM calls it the fill tube) Any idea what it is for or has anyone seen this on there CUVC?

Well pic would'nt load so im gonna post this then come back after moving the lawn to try again, and any idea in the mean time would help.

Braunchitis

I don't know if your 1110s will work. Wellman 070s DO work. When I was looking for glow plugs, they kept trying to give me glow plugs for the civilian version - when they look up 1986 Blazer, 4x4, 6.2, on their computer, 1110 will pop up. There is no "CUCV" (24V) option on their parts search. I checked all the "chain" auto parts stores, and none had them. You will probably have to order them from the Internet. I bought mine from INDUSA.
GLOW PLUGS 2
$60 for 8 GPs, which was cheaper than the wrong ones they were trying to sell me at Autozone.

Crash_AF

The 'mystery valve' appears to be a vacuum shut off valve from the vacuum pump. Dunno why they would put that in there because all the vacuum does is control transmission shifting and without it it will shift at high RPM and HARD.

Does the hose on that valve run to a valve on the side of the IP?

Later,
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to be 100% sure the relay has NO continuity between any terminals and the mount(body). I could not find specifications for that relay. It may or may not be rated sufficiently for the glow plug load(probably is). Is it intermittent, or constant duty rated?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you having shifting troubles? Does it shift at high rpms, and hard? Maybe someone tried to "throttle" the vacuum in an effort to fix a shifting problem? Definitely looks like a homemade repair/installation.

I think those glow plugs will be ok(not the preferred brand) but you will need to change your wire terminals to fit them(1/4" female blade terminal). The original CUCV terminals are an odd 3/16" wide blade. Personally, I think the factory terminals, suck. Change them out with new 1/4" and use whatever glow plugs you like. Wellman 070, ACDelco AC60G, Bosch, etc... The Wellmans are the only ones you will find with the correct 3/16" terminal,, and the are fast acting, dual coil bla bla bla.... Wellman does claim to be the supplier to the government but, we have seen these trucks right out of service with all the brands in them.

There has been a lot posted about glow plugs for the cucv. Try a few minutes of searching in the cucv forum.

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Doghead- It shifting at high rpm's but not as hard at like40-45, is just put in a new modulator but havent adjusted it yet getting on that now.

I just replaced that homemade valve with a 1/4 and 3./8 females and a connect or the old peice of 3/8 was rotted through on the vacuum pump.

And do you think the solenoid will work?

Attachments

4bogginchevys

When to Napa today ans spent a bunch of $$$, but now i have some questions.

First will autolite asp 1110 glowplugs work, that is what the guy at napa gave me but i dont think they will work. Can anyone give me the correct part number to take to napa to order them.

Second do you guys think this starter solenoid will work for me its not the st 80 but the guy said it would work.

And last found this valve in the on the rubber hose coming from the transmission (TM calls it the fill tube) Any idea what it is for or has anyone seen this on there CUVC?

Well pic would'nt load so im gonna post this then come back after moving the lawn to try again, and any idea in the mean time would help.
I dont know about the glow plugs or the valve but the st 80/st85 or whatever it is, is a good unit. I assume that you didn't get it because of cost. with that in mind, the gpr 109(napa) is what I got. I researched the function and all of this unit and am currently using it on mine, works great....great price aswell, thats why I got it. good luck!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks ok to use. I would just confirm with a meter.(no connection between the small terminals to the case)

ida34

I don't know if your 1110s will work. Wellman 070s DO work. When I was looking for glow plugs, they kept trying to give me glow plugs for the civilian version - when they look up 1986 Blazer, 4x4, 6.2, on their computer, 1110 will pop up. There is no "CUCV" (24V) option on their parts search. I checked all the "chain" auto parts stores, and none had them. You will probably have to order them from the Internet. I bought mine from INDUSA.
GLOW PLUGS 2
$60 for 8 GPs, which was cheaper than the wrong ones they were trying to sell me at Autozone.
Just to be clear. The glow plugs on the cucv are 12 volt glow plugs. The large resister on the firewall drops the 24 volt input down to 12 volts for the glow plugs. As already stated in the thread, the connector is different between the civy glow plugs and the military cucv plugs but they are both 12 volt. The "system" is 24 volt but the plugs are 12 volt.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have confused you in my post above(just edited it), no need to apply power to test it.

You just need to touch the shiny metal case with one meter probe, and touch the two small terminals(one at a time), with your meter set to measure ohms or continuity. You need to be sure there is NO connection(continuity).

The relay you have, does look correct but, testing it as I just described, is the only way to be sure.

Someone recently posted they bought a new("parts guy said this is what you need") relay, but it seemed to be the wrong part in the right box.

Sorry to confuse such a simple thing. I just wanted to be 100% sure you have the correct part.

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Thank you, i will be doing that right now.

On another note while working on the transmission I replaced the vacuum modulator i was still shifting high, then found the previously described homemade valve. After testing this she was still shifting high.

So i just hooked the vacuum line strait to the other vacuum line thus bypassing the regulator on the ip. Shifted perfect.

So today im going to follow the post by jawalter, to clean the regulator and put it back on to see if it will shift correctly.

Thanks again for all the help.

AJMBLAZER

Just to be clear. The glow plugs on the cucv are 12 volt glow plugs. The large resister on the firewall drops the 24 volt input down to 12 volts for the glow plugs. As already stated in the thread, the connector is different between the civy glow plugs and the military cucv plugs but they are both 12 volt. The "system" is 24 volt but the plugs are 12 volt.
CUCV glow plugs work at about 12v, civy glow plugs work at about 6v. HMMWV glow plugs are the only ones actually at 24v.

Just return them and order the Wellman plugs, they're great.

I've seen reports of the Autolights swelling too.