• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some multi fuel help

rickdavis81

When I bought my truck the owner said he replaced the ip with a rebuilt unit because the original was leaking fuel. After replacement he could barely get it to run if giving it a hit of ether. He thought it was getting air in the lines. I checked the timing, #1 cylinder valves are both loose and crank pulley indexed at proper mark indicating tdc and ip mark lined up with the pointer. Old diesel had a stale smell so I drained the tank and refilled with fresh and changed the filters. In tank pump is operational. The fuel shut off only returns to the 6 o clock position instead of the 7 o clock. Possibly my problem? Truck will fire with a shot of ether and will stay running but won't idle and is slow to rev, no smoke from the exhaust. Won't refire if allowed to die without a small shot of ether, which I really don't like using. Also the small plastic line running from injector to injector, which I assume is for the flame heater. Where it tees off to go to the flame heater I assume, it's just cut off and open. Could that be inducing a lot of air?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Could that be inducing a lot of air?
YES. I would plug it or replace the lines.
The rockers are loose when the harmonic balancer is at tdc with the pointer in the advance(window in front of hyd head) unit lined up is correct.
The last step is to look at the pointer in the fuel shutoff area, if the red scored tooth is visible, your good, if not its 180* out of time.

rickdavis81

Is the hh gear with the red tooth on a 1:1 ratio with the index mark on the ip. Or is it 2:1? I'm not sure I saw it. Anyone know the diameter of the plastic flame heater lines so I can grab a plug while I'm in town tonight. Trucks at my shop 10 miles away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks