• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some quick help to fix my M1009

Redhawk11196

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and also a proud new owner of a 1984 M1009 that has been restored by a guy in Wisconsin and spent the last 2 days driving it to Florida. My problem I have is that the truck dosnt shift right it will only come out of 1st gear at 35 mph exactly and out of 2nd at 55mph exactly. And I drove it a while like that and now it will only come out of 1st at 45 and 2nd at around 60. So it's getting worse...... This is going to be my daily driver and so far all other aspects of the truck are flawless. So any insight on how to fix my truck would be nice. From what I'm guessing and what I have read it seems like it's the VPV (vacuum pump) but I just want to be sure. Thanks all. This is the only other forum I read besides Arfcom.

Thanks,
Travis

REDWOLF

Replace the vacum lines that run from the IP pumd to the trains and see if that helps. Then you can try adjusting the shift points by moving the vacum valve that is on the side of the IP pump where the lines hook up to. It only moves clockwise or counter clockwise so you do not havemuch to worry about. You can also check the TM to see what eles they say about shift problems. But most of the time new vacum lines help a bunch. :p

jdeoliveira74

your vacuum pump may not even be hooked up at all.. Remove the air cleaner and in the back of the motor where the distributer would be is the vaccuum pump. and in the front is the vacuum control for the transmission it looks like a big f.. there should be a line coming from vacuum pump to the control and then down to the transmission. i will have to check in am to tell you which one goes to where. but start there
if you look up transmission shifting issues it should come up
hope this helps and welcome to the forum

top_prop

FWI... my trans was doing the exact same thing as the original post... I found a vacuum line disconnected and coiled up (it was how I got it from GL) once I connected it it shifted great...

Now is just started acting up again. tracked it down to the squarish rubber thing (#9 in TM image below) that conects the lines to the Shift Valve on the IP. Direct connecting the lines to the trans valve fixed my shift issues...

anyone know where you can get a replacement squarish connector? Direct connection is ok, but I think they put that there so you don't screw up and connect the vacuum supply/source to the top of the vacuum valve...

Attachments

Zero_cool

Your going to blow up if you keep driving it like that.
1-2 @ 45 is way to much RPM 2-3 @ 60:shock:
My old 400 was screaming in 3rd gear at 55....witch is the recomended max speed.
I would park it untill you can get it fixed.

Terracoma

anyone know where you can get a replacement squarish connector? Direct connection is ok, but I think they put that there so you don't screw up and connect the vacuum supply/source to the top of the vacuum valve...
Mine was leaking from the rubber block as well. I opted to connect the lines directly to the valve.

I didn't do a real thorough search (direct hookup was too easy a decision for me), so I can't say with any authority if the part is still available.

Your going to blow up if you keep driving it like that.
1-2 @ 45 is way to much RPM 2-3 @ 60:shock:
My old 400 was screaming in 3rd gear at 55....witch is the recomended max speed.
I would park it untill you can get it fixed.
His truck is the M1009 (the Blazer) with the 3.08 axle ratio.

While the shift points are still abnormal, I don't think he's risking serious damage.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You might be able to reduce the shift speed by manually shifting at about 2/3 the speed at what it is shifting at. I had mine act up and it worked as a temp fix.

top_prop

Direct connecting the lines to the trans valve fixed my shift issues...
Thanks for the replies... but like I said, once the vacuum leak was tracked down and taken care of the tranny shifts fine now... just like my civi 87 suburban with a 6.2 and a TH400...

The thing I'm looking for is the square-ish rubber conector that keeps you from crossing the lines.

Not a huge deal, but could save a 'stupid' later.

Tom

top_prop

Top prop: Sorry i just threw mine away after my 700r4 instal.
Mabey the dealer can get one?
didn't try the dealler... good suggestion.

When my TH-400 goes I hope to pull of a 700r4 swap... but until then I'm going to keep fixing the small things and keep it rolling!

Zero_cool

His truck is the M1009 (the Blazer) with the 3.08 axle ratio.

LOL , I guess i need to clean my eye balls.
I had a nightmare last night that someone was driving my 1028 60 mph in 2nd gear:lol:

mistaken1

My rubber connector was cracking as well so I used some rubber splicing tape to bandage it. The rubber splicing tape stretches and seals becoming almost a single rubber covering over time.

hilber

Mine was acting up and I replaced the lines and it is smooth as butter now. I am really impressed at how good it does shift. Just hope it keeps it up.