• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to pick some brains

ClintA

Would you all mind helping design a trailer out of a 1973 white tractor truck. The truck is being scraped out but this is my idea. I will leave all axles rolling on 1100-20's on the frame front axle included, what I need is ideas how to make the front wheels follow the 5 ton's like a M989A1 trailer. Doing this way would help keep weight off the pintle hitch.
Now before you all preach to me about safety, this will NEVER I say NEVER see highway use, not even county roads. I want it to haul pine trees to our sawmill and post to fence jobs over rough country at low speeds. I would take pipe and make a bunch of V's or X's down the bare frame to hold logs/posts in (I hope that makes sense) it would be something straight out of Mad Max!! Any ideas good or bad would be grateful

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might take a look at a typical farm wagon, how they attach the tongue to the front bolster then run tie rods out to the wheel spindle arms.
I think you might be much happier with making an actual trailer without the front axle. Extend the frame, whatever is needed to mostly balance the weight of the trailer cargo on the truck's rear wheels with some tongue loading. I find it is good to have tongue loading to give you control over the trailer. A heavily loaded trailer, without a load in the truck and minimal or no tongue weight, under the right conditions can get jack-knifed easily with ugly results.
From my experience with farm wagons, if you leave the front axle in place like on a farm wagon you will not like how it backs up. It is much easier to maneuver a trailer than a wagon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks