• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 6.5l pre cups, "shattered" AC60gs, interesting issue...

llong66

Hello, everyone! I have, through several posts since Oct. when I finished the rebuild on my '96 6.5l turbo rebuild chasing a smoking issue in my pass. side bank.
I had installed the new motor N/A as I had run out of time and funds and was going to finish the turbo install this spring. In mid Oct, due to a glow plug module failure
had a cascade failure in my glow plugs, replacing them all with AC60gs. I had been chasing the smoking issue through the winter, thinking the issue was an injector issue and ended up replacing them with new Bosch injectors a month or so ago and if anything made the smoking worse. This weekend, I went and got a compression tester to see if when I had the GP failure I had managed to miss a tiny part of shattered GP and damaged the head. (AC60gs may not swell, but they will shatter) I never managed to get to the compression test as when I was removing the GP for the test, I found the connector on the No 6 cyl GP had come loose. I am not sure why, but the other GPs all test ok, only the No. 6 disconnected one was damaged. ANYWAY, I tink my only choice is t remove the head and see what kind of damage has been done and other than the head, all of the associated items need to be removed to finish my turbo install anyway.
My question is, where can I source Pre comp cups? I have found valves, seats, etc, but have not had luck finding diamond cups. I will be having the shop that did the machine work for my rebuild do the work, magnafluxing and pressure testing the head as well as seat install, etc. Right now its close but as long as its only one set of valves/seats, and what I "think" I might be able to get a pre cup for I will be ahead repairing the current head, the set has less than 6-8k miles on them, they are new SS diesel heads.
Thanks for your help, I will keep everyone posted as I proceed, wish me luck!!! It will be over the next cpl of months as I do this all as funds become available.

Thanks,
Greg

acesneights1

gmpartseast.com
They are pricey. If you are changing them all go for the diamonds with the turbo. If you just need one pm me which one(there are marking on them, sometimes dots, T's diamond, square etc). I have a bunch laying around. Better yet post a good pic.
...You can get clearwater heads off ebay way cheaper and better quality for future reference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks