• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New California Halftrack Project Planning

CrazyWisdom

Hey Everyone,

I'm Byron and am from California. I have been talking to Gary who sells halftracks in Illinois. I have done all the research I can and now am looking for professional opinions on my project before I jump in. I am sorry to those who do not agree with my project but I have a passion and wouldn't waste any veterans time unless I absolutely have to. Keep in mind I respect all you guys and the information you provide in these forms very much. That being said, on to the good stuff.

The Project:
I am planning on purchasing a halftrack and installing a diesel engine in it. I am looking to experiment running the engine on vegetable fuel as well as on demand hydrogen. The reason I picked a half track was because it has a substantial amount of ground contact in comparison to cars which allows for better towing as the wheels will not tend to slip wasting the engines torque. Now I intend to eventually make this my daily driver which I understand is also a tall order. Ideally I would also be able to use it on the freeway at 55mph. I know that is above its top speed on stock setting but with a different engine it only leaves me worried about the tracks ability to handle the speed.

Very far down the road I may consider making the halftrack more of an off road vehicle by installing special suspension etc. But for now I have a dream, that I am the only guy in Los Angeles who drives a halftrack.

I am very open to all opinions and criticizing. If I can be talked out of it then I will defiantly not be able to go through with the project but I have every confidence in myself.

Onto the specifics:
The engine of choice is a Cummins 6bt ideally out of a dodge 1994-1998 model with an nv4500. A very durable and reliable combo I am sure most would agree.
-I do not know if a Cummins will slide into the engine bay. I have not been able to find any info if the 160ax uses 2 or 4 engine mounts and if the Cummins will be the correct width or if welding will be necessary.
-I have heard a forum or two that has vague information on this kind of engine swap. It lead me to assume it is possible but you all will be my expert opinion.
-There has also been some talk of a spray that can preserve the rubber in the tracks of a half track, is this true?

Thanks for your time guys and here are some pics of the track I am looking to purchase. I would also have to buy the rest of the hood that drops down and another track.

Attachments

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has also been some talk of a spray that can preserve the rubber in the tracks of a half track, is this true?
No spray is going to make rubber tracks capable of not being absolutely destroyed on a freeway at 55mph.

What you want to do is outside the capabilities of the platform. If it was as easy as you think it is, don't you recon you'd have seen several set up for this by now?

Autocar

Not to burst your bubble, but I hope you are rich. Tracks cost $3,000/pair delivered to California. They last 900 miles maximum on pavement. That works out to $3.33/mile in track costs alone.

Last edited:

CrazyWisdom

I completely understand the cost of this project. I have absolutely no illusions about that.

As for the speed issue, I have read a couple posts about engine swaps in halftracks that have allowed them to go faster. Everyone of them had a concern about the tracks breaking but did not say it was impossible. That is what I am here to clarify. The reason I thought no one did it is because I have seen many people criticized for altering the halftracks rather than restoring them. I have no experience with tracks. I see no other structural issue with going that speed aside from the wear on the rubber. Specifics on the impact of the rubber would be very helpful. Is it the steel guide? The extra friction from so much contact with the ground? I am unsure of what is putting pressure on the track.

And I have no illusions that no spray will counteract the friction that will wear on the rubber. I am asking what will help and what to expect from the tracks at that speed.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO, NO and NO. The tracks will not last, it would not be street legal. Just think about if one of those tracks were to fall off at 55 mph and hit someone on the fwy what lawsuit you would have on your hands, those tracks were not meant to go that fast. You would not be able to register it. Oh and forget about buying insurance for it on the street. The best you could do is put it on a trailer and have someone pull you in it. This truck would only see use off road.

Oh and welcome to SS.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although it was made to go up to 45 mph when new my track with the org drive train will go about 30 mph now flat out and I would not want to go any faster. It might be because it is over 60 yrs old now but the suspension and brakes are not up to any greater speed. I would think the tracks would fly apart at 55 for any great time and the under steer would kill you on any slippery surface at all. It ploughs straight ahead if you try to turn it to fast on any surface that the front tires do not grab well. It also despite what people think does not stop well as the tracks have very little pressure per sq inch and they slide easy on ashfault grass or hard surfaces but work well on sand or soft dirt, I am sure you could replace the motor and even the tracks and suspension with a newer style like the tracked bobcats and maybe get it to work better but I do not think there is any way at all a freeway truck is possible. I am not normally a nay sayer or someone who wants to advise anyone not to pursue his dream but I do not want anyone killed or hurt and the fallout to us enthusiasts' as a whole that would occur.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just in case you didn't get the important part of what eaw46 was saying....the vehicle will not be manageable on a freeway at speed and you will kill people!

I understand your want to do this based on a coolness factor, but it will never get registered in this state and is far too dangerous to innocent people on the road. If you really want a halftrack, I'm all for it. Just lose the idea that it can ever be a daily driver or even driven on public roads anywhere in this state. Still having said that, if you trailer it up to the desert, I'd love to take a ride in it.

CrazyWisdom

Thank you guys for filling in the blanks. And for the quick responses. And I thought of going the m35 route but the vehicle is too wide to e permitted to park on my street. I'll let you guys know my next crazy idea, the last thing I want is to do something that could hurt anyone. Thanks again.

Hightechken

Over the years I have fixed up a number of WWII halftracks and an M3A1 Scout car.

The halftrack is a very easy vehicle to restore/work on. It will NOT however do what you want. I suggest you find a running halftrack owner and go for a few actual rides to see just what you are up against.

A repowered M3A1 Scout car could be done, And I think a few have already done it.

But the simple, Easy, Cheap way out is to just get a modern day military vehicle that already has the diesel motor in it!

My M1031 diesel with oversized tires will do what you want, On a very low budget.

By using a late model military vehicle to do your highway towing and normal driving, You will save enough money to ALSO buy and restore a halftrack for fun offroad treks!

captain-crank

Bad Idea

The Israelis re-powered a lot of US Halftracks with Diesels from the M113.
Yes, they went faster.
They were also at war with unlimited resources.

The tracks we currently use on our HT's are the ones the Israelis made back in the early 90's, a polyurethane similar to fork lift tire material cast in the original molds with stainless steel cable inside.
The original 40's vintage tracks were steel cable and rubber.

High speed on asphalt or hard surface will create heat, which is not good after a certain point.
It will definitely increased track wear and worst case cause a catastrophic failure.
Each track weighs about 510 pound and the vehicle about ~20,000, you break one at speed and not only will the HT go for a wild ride, the track itself is lethal.
The bogie wheels are also rubber lined and prone to de-lamination, which will then cut the track from the inside.
There are some guys getting the wheels re-lined with better materials like a fork lift tire.

The US only made the HT vehicle during WWll for a reason, full track or all wheels just work better for their specific use.

Modify as you will but to consider using it as a high speed daily commuter anywhere, especially California, is ridiculous...... and dangerous IMO.

Maybe go buy an offshore boat or an exotic sports car..........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks