• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new clutch on its way

Wyattearp

okay guys the site is better than ever and back up, so down to business.
I have a new clutch on the way from Saturnsurplus it should be here tomorrow by UPS, what do i need to get to take grease/'oil off of my pressure plate, parts cleaner of some sort? I did have one more question would it be a wise thing to ubolt the top of the tranny and take a peek at the gears and synchros just for good measure, will i need a gasket to put back if i do this?

Westech

CPL
you will want to get the fly wheel turned!! no if and or buts about it . you should replace the pressure plate, but if you dont use brake cleaner to wash every thing down. now if the trany works and shifts fine dont and I mean dont take a peak!!! the only thing your going to do is open the door for the 100 layers or paint, road stuff and beer cans to fall down in to the trany. just let it be is all i can say!! please for gods sake let it be.

Jones

Clean your pressure plate with something like Brakecleen or carb cleaner but use it sparingly, like on a rag. The pressure plates I've been nose to nose with like a little dab of moly grease on their pivot points where the fingers are and you don't want to wash that completely out. But don't over-grease them either or you'll be back to problems in no time.
I'd pop the trans top just to look around, and for the peace of mind of knowing that no one left a tool in there.
I just got to go through a "depot-rebuild" M-900 series transfer case that had weld slag in the front wheel shifter shaft bore... then, for re-assembly, had the shaft driven in with a mallet. In the case of heavy components like engines, axles, transmissions, most any part on a deuce; some assembly jobs are best done once.
Your transmission should come apart without tearing up the gasket if it's fresh. If not, use RTV silicone sealant when paper gaskets aren't available, it gives good results.
Jones
Jones

Wyattearp

i talked with Mark as Saturn surplus, he checked out my pressure plate as i took it with me, he said it looked fine, the new engine has a new flywheel on it, just have to remove the paint is all im guessing.
Okay so i won't take a peek, i figured that out after the first don't take a peek, im not even going to ask why... LOL

Wyattearp

well i figured i should look just in case, im going to air hose the top and scrap off all the crap so it doesn't find its way down in there, but it was working fine when removed