• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV & diesel additive

xyzzy

Well, I love my new CUCV. However, this morning, after a night of sub-freezing temps, I can't get it started.

The starter spins, but it just won't -quite- turn over and run. It sounds like it's about to, but it just doesn't quite start. Batteries seem fine. It's also on Manual Glow plugs.

My truck was delivered from Arkansas, and I have a feeling the fuel in the truck doesn't have the additives that are put into the fuel here in Colorado.

My question is, should I just use starter fluid? I've never used starter fluid before, and have heard many of times on this forum to "never use starter fluid". What other alternatives are there at this point?

Would just buying winter additive and adding it to the fuel be sufficient?

I have a feeling the fuel has just jelled.

Thanks!

mangus580

Never use starting fluid with glow plugs. use Pure silicone spray.

My guess is, your fuel is quite possibly gelled. Can you get it inside somewhere to warm it up? Winter additive will help it once it ungells

xyzzy

Yeah no warm garage here.... stuck outside..

it's been like 40 during the day though.. might try to use some additive
and some fresh diesel that has the additives.. if all else fails i guess
there's always starting fluid.

CCATLETT1984

i would recommed that you get the truck running and then put in about a double dose of additive and drive the truck around for a while to get it mixed in really well, if you use just the antigel then any extra won't hurt the engine at all. You could use starting fluid to get her to start, IF YOU DON"T TOUCH THE GLOW PLUGS AT ALL!!!!!!!. spray a small amount into each side of the intake manifold and then start it, keep your foot on the gas until the white smoke stops, also the engine will quiet down. try checking the fuel at the filter, open up the plastic purge valve on the top and have someone crank the engine a little and see if you have fuel squirting out or not, have you changed the fuel filter yet? I would do that first.

xyzzy

I have manual glow plugs,.. I did end up using just the smallest amount of starter fluid i could squeeze out (hardly any), left the glow plugs off, and it turned right over!

Thanks for eveyrone's help!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks