• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce, new memeber...

1stDeuce

Hey SS members!! I've been lurking for quite some time now, reading and learning and dreaming... I won a GL truck early in October, and just got my EUC and invoice today, so I'm picking it up ASAP... Chambersburg truck, looks to be in good shape, but I haven't seen it first hand. Hopefully they'll be open Monday for me to stop in and flop it on a trailer for a nice drag back to Michigan! I'll take pics and let you all know how it goes. Here's a few GL pics for now...
Looking forward to good times!
Chris

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does look a tad tall. Nice truck, 1stDeuce! Shop around for parts, download the TMs...they are free here. Do NOT be afraid to ask questions! What are you gonna tow it home with and how far?

Srjeeper

Welcome aboard "1st Duce", I was just there today, picked up mine and a 105 trailer.

The GL people (Mike) was very helpful, in and out in no time, he's got it all together.

Good luck with your new truck, ya came to the best place on the web to live and learn Duce!!

Bill

1stDeuce

You guys rock!

Thanks for all the welcomes!! I posted on the Newbie forum too, and they scared me with stories of my truck sitting for 2-3 years with no top... Hopefully that isn't the case... Still not sure why they took the exhaust, top, and side racks off and tossed them in the bed... Shipping on too tall a trailer?? :)

The winch looks the same as a bunch of other deuces to me... But the angle is lower... Guess we'll find out Monday!

Noticed that this truck has a can mount on each of the rear mudflap brackets. That's kinda cool looking... It actually has camo paint too, but it's all dusty or faded in the pics..

I know some of you are going to cringe, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to single this out so I can drive it a little easier in the snow up north... Other than that, it will stay unmolested!

Someone asked, so I'll add that we're picking it up with an '05 Dodge Cummins Duallly and a 24k tandem dual gooseneck. Truck will be a little over GCW, but nowhere it hasn't been before, and at least the trailer is rated in excess... :)

More pics next week!!!

Attachments

bottleworks

RE: You guys rock!

Mine was Missing the top when I got mine from GL. I just put some trash bags on the seats for the drive home. The truck looks good. Be sure to take some pictures when you pick it up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: You guys rock!

Don't let the naysayers bother you. The only real damage that comes from having no top is seat fabric and possibly steering wheel degradation from UV.

Srjeeper

1st Duce,

The two times I was there they had trucks coming in on flatbeds and they all had the tops, bows and sides removed like yours. I doudt yours was there more than a few months judging from the way the lot looked after just three weeks between my visits. The Duces that came in on drop decks or low boys usually just had the cargo covers off. Your dash plates and guages look in better shape than mine, so I'm sure everthing will be OK.

Go by the check list posted on here and you won't have any troubles. :wink:

Have a safe trip and let us know how ya make out.

Bill

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I was not very clear. When a unit in NY state turns in a truck, it goes from the unit's location to Watervillete Arsenal, where the state turn in point is for all NYNG. It can sit there for literally years awaiting funding for a private contractor to haul them to DRMO in PA. As a test case, a transportation unit just turned in 40-60 each M871 trailers to Watervillete 3 months ago. Lets see when they get to GL in PA... Why they dont DRMO/GL them from there, you ask? because the Arsenal doesnt want any extraneous traffic in or out because of the sensitive work they do there. The ONLY things that get GL'ed out from there are BIG overhead cranes and lathes and the like that cant easily be moved.

1stDeuce

Picked up the truck... Pics

For the visually stimulated, just thought I'd toss a few pics of the trip from MI to Champersburg, PA to get my truck...

No real issues with the pickup, they jumped it and it fired and ran nicely, thought the throttle linkage is sticky and it likes to idle at 1500 rpm... We toasted a trailer tire on the way home. It had been thumping for a while when it let go. I don't think the deuce was to blame. (Don't buy trailer tires that have the word "Trailer" on them... They are junk...)

I get to spend time with it this weekend. It's a a buddy's place a half hour from where I live. Bolt on the top and exhaust stack, check all the fluids, clean it up, and see what's next... There was a little more rust than I was hoping for, but not bad. The brush camo job has to go... I'll spray it this spring. The winch looks like it should work fine... Engine and T-case are a nice newer green, which is bonus. Axles look newer too.

C

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Picked up the truck... Pics

arg!To still have warm weather so I can go topless....I mean my truck can go topless.......Seeing that makes me want to go empty the bed,drop the troop seats and cab top and go cruising.

lenz1079

LESO is great.. im the coroner in an Illinois county and i just drove mine off the Peoria ANG base thursday Nov.9th. i have it in reserve for disasters....... like if i run out of firewood or my wife gets the car stuck, but im really saving it for post apocalypic vacationing. I thought that it was insane they gave me this truck. I requested it on tuesday. it wasnt insane, it was free. I guess until the government sends me a letter that tells me how long i must keep it.