• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Owner (?'s inside/help needed)

Jakob

Well, I just picked up the M35 that I won off of EBay. It's a 69 winch truck, troop bed w/ the non-turbo engine. I went down with some knowledge gathered from here and a buddy to drive it back 385 miles on a prayer, haha. I encountered some troubles along the way and need some input.

How bad can overheating the engine to about 240 degress be? The PO had the wrong main belts on the truck and about 40 miles into the trip, they busted and I didn't notice until the temp shot up.

The clutch adjustment is about 1.5", which should be in tolerance. The clutch was great until we made a quick stop about 30 miles away from home. I hadn't had a problem out of it the entire trip and this includes climbing some long mountain stretches. I can pinpoint this one stop where the clutch immediately started slipping.
It's not to the point where I couldn't drive the truck, but if I went over maybe 75% throttle, it'd break loose and slip BAD. However, if I didn't load it too much and the ground was flat, it'd still drive at 45mph without slipping at all (based on mph versus rpm). I tried (feebly) searching, but all I can pull up is the adjustment information here.

The blinkers also quit working about the same time. The green light on the column flashed the whole time before, along w/ the signals. After that stop sometime, they quit flashing and would just go on steady. I'm assuming the flasher relay just needs replacing?

Overall the truck was well worth the money. The cover for the bed needs replacing and there's a fair amount of rust, but nothing I can't fix. The paint NEEDS to be redone, it was brushed on way too thick and it's a standard green, not OD. One of the tires is missing the tube (rear axle inner), but the rest held up well. I think they've been replacd though, the tires are Goodyears and even though the speedo was reading 52-53 mph (at about 2500rpm), my chaser said it was actually running about 60mph.

Also, I have NO idea how to work the wipers or winch... any help? I've been cruising the manuals when I can, but I just haven't found the ones I need yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: New Deuce Owner (?

Wipers are easy, the winch, not so easy. Obtain a copy of TM 9-2320-361-10 and learn how to operate all your controls. Signals does sound like a flasher, its located on the left inner fender well just before the firewall. I'd think the multi could survive 240 with no problem. As far as the clutch I'd be looking closely at the drain hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. Sounds like a rear main seal to me.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: New Deuce Owner (?

The operator's manual describes winch operation.

Check your grounds for the flasher relay before replacing. There is a self diagnosing feature on the flashers, something about feeding 24V to one pin should result in intermittent 24V flashing at the other pin(s). I can't quite remember now, but someone should and chime in.

beaubeau

Deuce Deal!?

:ditto: I agree! Check if any oil leaking oround the bell housing. Same on overheating, I lost the belts on mine bringing it home, and as it cooled down, I started it a couple times to ellliminate any Hot Spots. Truck is running fine, Good Luck , Phil :driver:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Deuce Deal!?

Inspect the bell housing, try to determine if oil is leaking(clutch wet)and if it is leaking, is it gear or engine oil. You may just have a plugged(sticking) transmission vent. Also, change your transmission oil and don't overfill it(finger in and down and just touching oil), it could be thin from water contamination.
Take off your signal lights and clean all the grounding points.(the indicator can't blink if the flasher is bad). Get some new belts on and drive it some, hopefully you did no damage with the overheating. Monitor the engine and transmission oil levels and bell housing after changing the trans oil. See if it happens(slipping clutch).

Please don't operate your winch until you read the operators manual. It is best to have two people to operate it at all times. Be careful and keep the person outside the truck out in front of the truck far enough that you can see them clearly when using the winch.

Recovry's signature line currently has 3 manuals that you need to read trough to get familiar with your new truck (the dash tag has some manuals listed on it also that you need to read).

Jakob

Thanks, I had no idea on the clutch. After it started slipping, I pulled off again and stopped to see if I could visually diagnose anything. There was some sort of oil dripping out of the bell housing area. It was in dirt/gravel, so I couldn't get anything to smell/see it. I'm going to take a better look at it in the next couple days to see what I can find out for sure.

I haven't even considered operating the clutch without to manual. I know they are very powerful and can be dangerous if used haphazardly or improperly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks