• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Owner With Front Axle Drive Question

Memphisdoug

I just bought a duece - 1967 Kaiser with a manual shift transfer case. Based on driving last night out in the field I'm not sure that the front axle is being powered. What is the easiest way to determine this? If it isn't, what has most likely gone wrong and how is it fixed? Thanks for any advice.

MarcM35A2

Hi...
Disconect the front drive shaft from the front axle, switch in the front wheel drive, and try to turn the drive shaft around! You shoule not be able to turn it. If your able to turn it, something doesn´t work!
Greetings Marc

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually grab a friend, head to soft sand or mud, rev it up in 2nd and pop the clutch. That isn't the correct method?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
kendelrio said:
I usually grab a friend, head to soft sand or mud, rev it up in 2nd and pop the clutch. That isn't the correct method?
That's a sure way to find a driveline problem, weather you had one or not! :lol:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know if I'd use second. Lots of problems with that gear shearing off the key that holds it to the shaft.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
I don't know if I'd use second. Lots of problems with that gear shearing off the key that holds it to the shaft.

Is that key on the top or lower shaft?
You got the "key code" for that one too? :lol:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Find a BIG tree with some soft ground underneath..............

Slowly roll up to the tree, engage the front axle and creep forward until the bumper is touching.

Apply maybe 10-15% throttle. Slowly release clutch. Keep hands free of steering wheel spokes.

Have a spotter outside who has a clear view of both front wheels. If one of the wheels spins, you are golden. if not, you are up the proverbial creek.

With all free advice, consider the cost and nothing in life free is worth having (typically).

Also:

make sure your spotter is safe, so if the tree falls, s/he doesn't do anything stupid like DIE.

Memphisdoug

Engage front axle?

Ok -maybe here is the main problem. How do I engage the front axle? I don't have an air shift lever on the dash. All that I am aware of is the transfer case lever giving me low and high range. Am I missing something here? Thanks again

dk8019

RE: Engage front axle?

Ahh, I've only learned a little here, and I have yet to pickup my Duece (this Friday woohoo!) but perhaps your truck is Sprag equipped as oppose to air shift.

Dodgeman1941

It sounds to me like you have a spauge set up w/o the air shift. With those the back tires have to spin before the front will engage. When we were at Grayling some years back the 2 other deuces there had sprauge transfers and they had a heck of a time in the sand because once they started to spin the rear they also started to bounce. They ended up stuck and backing up a few times. I didn't have a lick of problem with any of the trails we were on with air shift. Someone with more experience with the sprauge units can comment more on how they opperate then I.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
doghead said:
gimpyrobb said:

Is that key on the top or lower shaft?
You got the "key code" for that one too? :lol:
Yup, found it in the sticky! 73Y2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks