• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New filter pump

Smokinyoda

Like many of you I like using a sbc oil pump for filtering/collection. Since its a gear pump its about as tough as they come, capable of chewing up small debris that might get sucked up. They are self priming, and with the bypass plugged up will pump until you blow a line or stall out the motor. Thats probably not a good thing for most of us, and why I leave my bypass functional (I believe its 40 psi).

My first build was the popular mod, where you drill new discharge hole in body and either tap it or jb weld 1/2" nipple in place, and enlarge and tap/jb weld existing intake hole and install another 1/2" nipple. Didnt like how there wasnt alot of wall thickness for new dishcharge hole for the nipple to screw into, especially since it see's all the pressure. Seemed like the weak link of an otherwise good system.

So on my latest build I tapped the original discharge hole, screwed in a nipple and a bushing and attached a 1/2" elbow. Feels much more solid, dont have to worry about the weight of full hoses ripping fitting out of thin wall like my previous one. I just like the idea of all my holes being tapped instead of relying on jb weld to hold everything in place.

I use quick connect fittings and 3/4" hose, so I can take it from my filter system out to field for collection duty. It is currently powered by a 300 watt 24v scooter motor, you can find these things for next to nothing on craigslist, and sometimes free if you look. Batteries go bad people usually just throw them away.

Using 3/4" hose and only running 12 volts this setup pumps upwards of 15 gpm, much more than my drill powered model. Anyway sorry for rambling, just wanted to share some pics of my new toy, a a pic of my previous model.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks