• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New From NJ

TPK

Hi, Been occasionally meandering here and found lots of useful info.
Recently purchased a few generators - MEP-003 , -004, and a -005. I am sloooowly trying to get them all in rood running order. Some have issues like the -003 I started for the first time the other day has a fuel issue (I think) at cylinder #1 - doesn't fire just blows white smoke out for a minute or so then begins to fire and clears up after another minute or so. A couple of guys on the Smokstak forum suggested that it could be either tight valves or a bad injector but it's way too cold here this week to mess with it (I'm just way too cold-blooded I guess!) and anyway I have to get a gasket before I try adjusting the valves. The -005 seems to be doing something similar although I don't know if it is on one cyl or all.
So I guess I'll be asking lots of tech questions of you guys here so I can get these beasts working well.

SteveKuhn

Naw ... it isn't you - it's cold. I spent 7 1/2 hrs crawling around outside under my stuff this past weekend. You're the smart one.

Welcome from an exit or 2 east on I-80.

Steve

TPK

Hi guys, and thanks.
Yeah, it has been a little chilly. Glad to see close neighbors that are into Mil stuff, maybe we should get together and trade lies and beer!
Steve - yeah, mine are all on trailers, although I have an extra M116A3 I am probably going to sell to make some room in my yard. The -004 wasn't on one, but I picked up an old dual-003 trailer (M103A3 1&1/2 ton) and temporarily mounted it on there. Still need to do it right, but not till its a little warmer.
MidnightD - Actually I am in Hawthorne, don't know why it has me listed in Paterson. Is your avatar pic of the truck you have? I was going to bid on one of those once but the prices lately are through the roof!
Terry

SteveKuhn

I asked because you ought to consider bringing up a gen trailer to the Sussex show for display in April. We don't usually get those. No gate fee for exhibitors. You might also make some friends at an MTA meeting. There are several members who have a lot of background in maintenance and mechanics. They've probably seen a generator or 2.

And where were you 3 weeks ago before I bought my M116a2 from GL? aua

Post up a photo anyway. I'm a sucker for trailers!

Steve

TPK

What kind of show is in Sussex, and what's the date? Last time I was at any kind of show there it was the annual airshow (miss that). And that leads to the next Q - what is MTA? Sounds like something I need to belong to...
I was intending on buying -003's that were without trailers and mounting them the M116A3's, but wound up buying the gens already on the proper A2's with the bed.
Did you get the trailer made for the -003 with the flat bed, or just a frame?
As for posting a photo - I'm not sure as to how to even take a photo, nevermind how to post it! I don't even have a camera. But you're always welcome to come on over for a look and a beer.

TPK

BTW, the A3's are nicer than the A2's in several ways, but they do require a higher pintle hitch setting since they ride higher on the springs and on the taller run-flat tires.

SteveKuhn

MTA = Military Transport Assn. It's MTA that shows up with MVs in the Hawthorne parades and at the RR station for Toys For Tots.Bill&MeHawthorne.jpg
There happens to be a meeting tonight in Whippany, just off Rt 10. You should consider attending if you're free. PM me with a number and we can have a phone call to help get you there if you like.

http://www.mtaofnj.org/meeting_event.htm

Food (excellent) at 7, meeting at 8. Should be a good turnout since there's only this meeting and next before the show. Which brings up Sussex:

http://mtaswapmeet.us/

There are already a couple posts in a thread for it here on SS. Last year we had over 150 vehicles on the field, loads of vendors, displays, and whatnot.

This is a GL snapshot of the urchin I gave a home. I needed the flat bed. High lunettes don't bother me because I have a pintle riser that tows an M105 flat.
Snap5.jpg
Hope to hear from you.

Steve

TPK- Yes the truck in my avatar is one of my trucks. I would like to try selling it. So if you are ever interested feel free to PM me. As far as the Sussex show it is by far the best out of the three I go to. Every year so far it keeps getting bigger and better. I will be there from Wed until it empties out on Sunday. I believe the show is open to general public from April 26-27 and to vendors or vehicle displays on the 25,26,27. Hope to see you there if not before then.

TPK

Thanks for the info guys. It definitely sounds like something I will be going to. I still need to get the paperwork from GL for my trlr before I can register it.
I will try to get to that meeting tonight - looking forward to meeting you guys.