• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from Winnemucca NV...1952 M135CDN Restoration project

jeryshery

I'm new here even though I've had several mvs before I joined...Currently have an 84 m1009 converted to 12v and a 1952 M135CDN that I'm currently restoring of which is the subject of this thread. Truck is complete minus the bed and minor stuff like headlight lenses and bulbs and good glass...Someone shot the truck up while I wasn't home. The frame has been extended 2 feet. Debating what bed to put on it. I'd like to make a camper out of it but I could go several ways. I could take a stock cargo bed and make a shell to fit in the rails, I could buy a shop bed if I can find one and use it or I could find either a cargo container or semi van body and cut it down to fit. Since I've got the frame extension and it was done right I'm kinda leaning towards getting a cargo container and cutting it to size. I figure the container has an frame of sorts and would have some rigidity in case of rollover. I'd like to have some input and see if I'm missing something on my reasoning or if there's a better way to do this. Going to breathe some new life into the old beast. I'd like to bring some 21st century touches to it as well if you've got some cool ideas I'd love to hear them.002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg007.jpg008.jpg010.jpg009.jpg

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

Except for being shot up, over all the truck looks good. That engine with the valve cover removed does not look good to me. I would tear that engine down and rebuild it. No telling how much dust and dirt is in the engine.

jeryshery

The valve covers off cuz it had a sticky valve. I'm going to take the head off and have the valves cleaned up at a machine shop. When I do I'm gonna take a look at my cylinders and if they aren't scarred rusty or dirty I'm gonna leave them alone. If they do have problems I'm going to rebuild it clean it spotless and paint it.

jeryshery

In an effort to bring the truck into the 21st century I'm going to be doing hid headlights everything else will be l.e.d. I'll be squaring out the holes in the bumper and installing 4 inch square led lights, adding a roof rack and 13.5 inch l.e.d light bars, l.e.d interior lighting, gauge lighting and tail lights. Going to use two semi air-seats. Fab up a fiberglass center console to fit around the shift pod and accommodate a kenwood stereo, kicker 6x9s and kicker 10 inch sub. With the stereo I'm going to have to soundproof everything and weather strip the doors and windows.

Last edited:

tburk49760

Sounds like a cool project. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Not sure you'll be happy with the stock motor and trans with all the added weight of a camper van thingy tho.

jeryshery

The truck came stock with a shop bed so I don't think it's gonna be too gutless in that respect but I couldn't call myself a man if I didn't at least try for more power...I've got a couple turbos laying around the yard and I might do 6lbs of boost and a little more fuel but I'm not gonna worry about adding power until I get everything else finished...The checklist is pretty big.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both mine have good power if you wind them up tight. They hold 55-58 mph most hills. They do not do well at lower speeds or lower rpms. The empty 211 is ok, but the M220 is sluggish from the weight. I can tell the high rpm is tough on it so I keep it a little slower. I drove my shop van home about 700 miles on the freeway. I don't think we got better than 3-4 mpg. I'm sure I get double that locally at 45mph. Maybe it was that corn gas?

I'd try it and see what you think.

If I had to do the camper conversion over, and I will. I would consider a bigger box. 12' is a little small for a shower, toilet, table, and beds. The 6 windows do provide AWESOME ventillation if parked side to the wind.

Good luck.

jeryshery

I could just take the easier route and use a small sleeper I've got laying around. Then find a cargo bed and shorten it or use a trailer for the bed like all those guys with bobbers. Most of my driving is gonna be far in the desert speed wont exceed 50. Also what does the 220 handle like? Does it feel top-heavy at all or is it pretty solid?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not too bad. The 10 wheels make all the difference. I'd say the 211 is like very easy to get around on logging roads. The 220 is not bad either. It is not weighted down with a lot of heavy things inside. It is maybe like hauling a load of wood in a half ton chevy, you realize it is there. You just pick your path a little more carefully. If it had swaybars it would be an improvement. That is the only thing I noticed.

cmpman

It never fails to amaze me how far some of these Cdn trucks will migrate over the years.

The single arm mirrors would seem to indicate that the truck was an early release. The Canadian military went through a real downsizing in the early 70s under a Liberal government. These trucks are the ones usually found with the single mirrors. By the late 70s the Canadian M35s were modified over to West Coast mirrors. The early trucks were often in the original semigloss green, or else a cam pattern which included a white/sand manilla color. Late releases were generally a 3 colour cam of black, flat green, and olive green, usually liberally applied with a 3" brush in many layers. That alone usually makes the early trucks more desirable.

Shame someone snagged the winch off it.

With regard to the valve cover off: Mine had the valve cover sitting in the cab for almost 27 years. The cover had been removed due to a stuck valve. When I recovered the truck last fall, all the valves were well stuck, to the point that when driving one of them out, it took the valve guide with it. But after head removal, a cleanup, oil pan removal, and a bit of flushing, along with a good priming of the lubrication system, the engine turned out just fine.

Stuck valves were somewhat common on these trucks, especially if they had a newer engine and sat for just a couple of years. If it is only one or two valves, they could usually be tapped down with a plastic hammer, and pulled back up with a small slide hammer. After doing that a half dozen times, combined with liberal use of oil, the valves would be just fine. Usually the push rod needed replacing after a stuck valve as it would bend. I repaired a few of these trucks this way and they worked out just OK, and saved a lot of time in not having to remove the head.

Good luck in your project.

Last edited:

jeryshery

It is a shame that someone snagged the winch but since I'm in the desert there aren't normally any trees or useable anchor sources to winch from. If I get stuck I'm gonna have to either jack it up with a 20 ton and stick rocks under the tires or just dig it out. I'm going to either go with OD green or Snow camo.

Last edited:

jeryshery

I found some new direction for my project...I have a running 318 magnum plus trans in a 94 Dodge 2500 I bought years ago for parts. Gonna pull the motor and trans from the deuce. Set them aside so I can take my time rebuilding all of it. Then I'm gonna pull the motor mounts from my dodge and weld em up to do my engine transplant. I'll be making twice the power of the stock motor and have an overdrive!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Will be nice seeing her running & driving again.

And welcome from the butthole of Nevada: Las Vegas. Gotta love Winnemucca, I wish I lived in northern Nevada. Don't move to Vegas, you'll regret it.

Can't wait to see your progress with this truck!

jeryshery

Tim. The Dodge is 4x4 but the tranfercase is bad. When I do the install I'll be using a 2x4 tailhousing but when I get the money I'm either going to buy an atlas transfer or a Browne 4 speed auxiliary trans. Either way I'll have low low gears.

Silverstate. Thanks I enjoy Winnemucca but it's got the typical small town gossip. I like Vegas for the Bass Pro shop and that's pretty much the only reason I'm ever there lol. When I'm done with the truck I'm planning on doing an MV offroad adventure hopefully I can get some other SS members to join in.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate: Thanks I enjoy Winnemucca but it's got the typical small town gossip. I like Vegas for the Bass Pro shop and that's pretty much the only reason I'm ever there lol. When I'm done with the truck I'm planning on doing an MV offroad adventure hopefully I can get some other SS members to join in.
You'll be happy to know then that the Sportsman's Warehouse just re-opened near its original location (Ann/US95)...great prices, good selection!! It's on the opposite end of the valley as BPS, closer for me. My Dad prefers BPS because he lives right down the road from it.

If I have time I'd love to join your off-road adventure. Keep us updated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks