• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy From Athens, GA Saying Hello

Lawdog734

Since I can't seem to find an appropriate subforum to share what I have at the moment, I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself to this fraternity. I kind of accidentally fell into this category after dipping my toes in the water for the past several years. I'm from the Athens, GA area and hope to be seeing some of you in the future.

It's amazing sometimes how things have a habit of falling in your lap. In my case, usually those things are crap, but in this case I think I came out pretty good.

I've had plans over the previous six months or so of building a SEAL Desert Patrol Vehicle. Since Chenowth is out of business and there aren't exactly a glut of used chassis's out there, I decided the way to do it was via purchasing a Chenowth 4LWD setup and build it up accordingly since that is the chassis that the DPV is built off of. I've seen several for sale over the years and usually while they might be called a Desert Patrol Vehicle, in some cases even with a correct chassis, they aren't built to spec and that disappoints me. It's almost like getting an old military jeep, painting it a shoddy green color and putting street tires on it and passing it off as correct- if you're going to do it, then do it right. So that was my intention, build it as close to spec as possible.

So I put some WTB ads on some of the various buggy forums for a rig with the Chenowth 4LWD chassis - complete or otherwise. I managed to pick one up with the performance mods already done to it for a fair price-it'll be here Monday. So that's vehicle #1.

Fast forward to Tuesday, I call a friend of mine for work related business and get to talking to him about what my intentions are. He tells me that he has not just a Chenowth Desert Patrol Vehicle behind his shop, but has a 6 man Chenowth Advanced Light Strike Vehicle as well. While they clearly have seen better days, he said I could have them if I came to drag them away. All parts are there and they haven't run in about 5 years, but they'll be worth having-he was literally going to drag them to the scrap yard. Some people collect military jeeps, I guess I'll have a couple of SEAL buggies. Those will also be delivered Monday, so that's vehicle #2 and #3.

My wife is already asking me what I plan on doing with the 3 vehicles, but I think she'll get over it. Actually, I'll probably put the 4LWD for sale up on CL and use the money from that to restore the actual military vehicles. While they've certainly seen better days, they're 100% legit and complete. All I need to do is get them up and moving. I'm not really looking for something as delivered from Chenowth as much as serviceable and as they would have been signed out of a motor pool. I figure I can putz around in them, put them in an occasional show or parade. While there is always a little bit of personal ego involved (I've wanted one for years), the other purpose is to honor the SEAL community that I've had the pleasure of working close with over the years.

Does anybody have any information on these vehicles? It seems that all of the information is from 1 source that gets constantly regurgitated - SEAL Team 4, 0-30mph in 4 seconds, 200hp VW engine, blah, blah, blah. I have never seen any specifics though. There's even less info on the 6-man vehicle, what the SEALs called their "squad" vehicle.

I've Google'd every possible combination I could think of and can't seem to find anything specific on either of them. I've got an email in to Lynn Chenowth at his current business and have had no response, so I ask you folks.

- Does anybody have any specifics on these?
- How many DPV's were made? Did they all have rotating gunner seats?
- How many of the 6 man vehicles were made - I heard as little as 12, but really don't know.
- What was done to the engines? Anything special?

Granted, I suppose I'll find out the answers to some of the questions soon enough, but I'd like to learn what I can now.

zout

Welcome from Lilburn Ga - I was just on a site looking a the FAV units the other day and seeing if I could wrap my pee brain around building one from scratch - very cool. Trade ya a heap of empty Budweiser cans for them.

Lawdog734

Thanks everyone! I look forward to any rallies there might be.

zout, I used to live and work over that way until I moved with my current occupation. I think if you're going to clone one, find a Chenowth 4LWD roller or chassis and build it from there. After a year of researching doing just that-I found it'd be considerably less aggravation. There's a vehicle currently up on the local Craiglist and a bare chassis in SoCal that'll probably cost $5-600 to ship. Regardless, they'd get you a lot of the way there.

wilfreeman

Thanks everyone! I look forward to any rallies there might be.

zout, I used to live and work over that way until I moved with my current occupation. I think if you're going to clone one, find a Chenowth 4LWD roller or chassis and build it from there. After a year of researching doing just that-I found it'd be considerably less aggravation. There's a vehicle currently up on the local Craiglist and a bare chassis in SoCal that'll probably cost $5-600 to ship. Regardless, they'd get you a lot of the way there.
Annual GA rally in Union Point October 8 - 12th.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the group! looks like we are neighbors. cool looking project you got there! Hope to see you at the GA Rally next month. Bobby

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Georgia Members Rock

Welcome to the Georgia Mafia, where you can enter but never leave.

Lawdog734

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! Bobby, I had looked up your business not long ago and see that we're barely 10 minutes from each other since I live in Colbert.

It's been a while since I've last posted anything, but both of the vehicles have been delivered are are now sitting in my driveway. I'm now hip-deep in tearing things apart so that they can be properly refinished and things are looking good so far.

Both vehicles will require new seats, tires/wheels and metal grid/meshwork as the elements played particular **** with these things. The 6 seat vehicle is in terrific shape and is much better than I was expecting. I'm able to get the engine to turn over by hand on this one and the body and tubing is outstanding. A good cleaning really should be all that's needed beyond that. Looking back on things, if I was smart - I should have started with this one.

The 3 seater has clearly seen better days. Both vehicles had been left exposed in a salt air environment for some time, and it took a far worse toll on this vehicle. When I pulled off the skid-pans off the bottom of this, a lot of the tubing had been sitting in damp, salty sand, so there will be a good bit that will need to be cut out and replaced. I was/am having the ****dest time getting the engine (Type 4 VW) separated from the transaxle (VW Bus 6-rib) and gave up on it for the time being. I swapped ends and am now getting the front end taken apart. My original intent was going to be to get it fixed up into a motor-pool ready like condition, but quite frankly - enough things will need to be replaced on this that I might as well get it fixed up into as best of shape as I can.

I won't have either of them driving in sufficient time to take them down to the rally, but I plan on going anyway just to check everything out as I can already tell that there will be other vehicles after these two. I look forward to seeing everyone in several weeks.

Lawdog734

Thank You for all of the well-wishes everyone. While my own vehicles won't be done, I definitely want to go to check everything out. I can already tell that there are other MV's that I want, but I might as well take on one project at a time - there's no sense in making the entire front of my house look like a junkyard.

The vehicles arrived some time ago and are sitting in my driveway at the moment. If I was smart, I would have started working on the 6-seater simply because it's in the best shape. The seats, tires/wheels and the metal mesh are all shot and will need to be replaced, but everything else is in amazingly good shape and I can turn the engine by hand. I really don't see this one being overly difficult to get up and running again.

I never claimed to be very smart though and I started with the 3-seater first. This one is considerably worse shape than the 6-seater, but it very much can be saved. Like the 6-seater, the seats, tires/wheels and metal mesh will need to be replaced, but this also has some tubing that will need to be cut out and replaced. I've been slowly stripping everything off of this vehicle, but am having a heck of a time getting the engine (Type 4 VW) separated from the transaxle (Type 091 VW Bus). I've given up on this area for now and moved on to getting other things stripped off right now.

The good thing about both vehicles is that most all of the parts are COTS products - the bad thing is that there is hardly any repurposed VW parts on it and most all of it ain't cheap. I'm taking things one day at a time right now and I while I won't be driving either of them to the GA Rally next month, I certainly plan to in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks