• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy from NC

K45

yeah I know about thesamba they have 1 in CA and for awhile ebay had a few. It seem to difficult at this time to import one in. i would give up all my Blazer and hummer stuff with it for one of those little guys. Thanks alot for the info. Did you like the iltis? What things you did not like? do you of any good websites to find more info abotu them. i have to talk a few canadains on vwvortex about them but thats about it.

Last edited:

B3.3T

I owned a German Iltis for 8 years. Great little Jeep type vehicle. It was neat because it could cruise at 65mph+, was comfortable around town and was different. Everybody wanted to know what it was. Like owning a Pinzgauer. It was pretty easy to work on, and reliable. Approach and decent angles suck so its not the greatest for off-road. It was fun. I only sold it to fund other projects.

K45

You can definitely can tell the approach angles are no good. Luckily it is not a unit body. i was thinking of a small body lift to help out things, if I had one. It would require some work but extending the A arms and drive shaft would make for a nice suspension lift but then you lose the military unqiueness and just have a custom 4 wheeler. I am still doing my homework on them. i have a ton of experience with working on VW so mechanically should not be a problem except for the tranny work. Thanks for your info. my only other concern is that I am 6'4" and worried about being crampted in it. Any thoughts?

B3.3T

You would not be cramped. Plenty of leg room. The rear of the whole vehicle could be bobbed. Just have to fashion a smaller fuel tank. Nothing can be done about the front except some kind of lift but that would be complicated due to the CV axles. Larger diameter tires helps. We did that with good results.

K45

I never thought about bobing one. I tihnk if I had one I would not want to do that plus it would be alot of work. I would be more incline to relocate the tailights and remove those lower peices to help out. This what found about the angle:

approach angle: 40, departure angle: 30

That to me is the only downside to those little guys. I wonder what 2" body lift would do to help this and if it would hur anytihng on the vehicle as far as maintence issues. i know brake lines, fuel lines and filler neck would be affected but do not know the rest. It should be really easy to do. Do you know how much groundclearence they have? I culd not find that info. Was there much of a rubbing issue with the bigger tires? Thanks so much for your help on all these questions.

K45

Thanks nice vw collection. i think the one on samba is super nice but way out of my price range and on the other side of the country. i tihnk I am going to have to go with a m1009 and hope some day I can get one. Thanks for sharing

SteamboatWilly

Kenny an other Iltis fans I have a great slide show of the Iltis in recent action. Just PM me and I'll send it to you. There are good ones out there for a reasonable price keep looking. In the mean time Get a Duce the Iltis will fit in the back. Makes a great spare...LOL I hope to get mine looking like this one soon.

Attachments

K45

Yeah you probably do with one of those other sites with Wheelin Blazers and trucks in the dixie. :-D

Just an obeservation but is all the membes in NC named Kenny as well? ;)

There is a guy in Canada that has one for sale 80% togethor but all the parts are there. I just do not know how much trouble it will be to get it to the US and get it to NC. I will keep looking. :roll:

Wilksboro is not far from me at all. i live north of Statesville close to Union
Grove. :-D

K45

Since there is so many NC members here does anyone have a m715 I can look at up close to get some ideas? I am still on the fence on what I wants and is the best for me. I completely enjoy the idea of the Iltis but really need to wait 2 more ears to make importing them here much easier. M1009 would be very nice and easy transition since I have a ton of blazer parts and parts can be found easiy. But I also like the m715. Something simple tough and truck bed. Not so sure how hard parts would be but a nice set up, eventhough they are not diesel. So any help would be great and thanks for all your help so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks