• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy grom Georgia...expensive mistake?

essayons07

Hi all...

I have purchased a number of items through GL with no problem. I recently purchaed a M35A2 that was described as running. When I had it picked up turns out the fuel pump head is seized so the truck won't run. My mechanic quoted $1800 just for the parts.

Don't laugh...I filed a claim to see if I can return the truck.

Has anyone had experiences like this? Guess buyer beware should be my mantra?

newbie in GA....:cookoo:

Zack

Just keep your eyes open on the classifieds,, and ebay you should be able to find a new pump fairly cheap.. Or even try to rebuild the one you have.. dont think they will take the truck back. IT says to check out lots before puchace, that not all statments are correct. Did you get a good deal on the truck?? If so i would deffinatly try to fix it, By reading on the this site it does not look that hard to remove the fuel pump.

1crook

We have had good luck with buying trucks off of GL. Clinto and I have bought several M35A2's with no major problems (some had leaking axle seals, needed a new master cylinder, filters, etc...). It is a good idea to have someone look a truck over for you in the event that you cannot do it on your own. This might let you know about some of the problems to anticipate, but of course you might not catch all of them. We have been really lucky I guess we have been able to preview a few beforehand, but the others seemed to work out well. We always bring extra gear with us on recoveries, ie. towbar in case the truck cannot be driven home under it's own power.

As far as being able to take the truck back, I doubt that they will let you do that. Basically the rule is once you sign the paperwork stating that you are picking the truck up and it leaves the lot, it is yours.

I second what Zack says, I would look at the classifieds or on Ebay to see if someone else has a cheap replacement part. You might get it repaired for far less than what you have been quoted.

ODDBALL007

u can buy a new not rebuilt fuel pump. A company in washington state or illinos bought the blueprints and all that. New they r 250 plus shipping.when i get home ill look in my latest supplyline mag and have the info here tomorrow

essayons07

Thank you to everyone for the quick reply.

I figured GL would not let me return the truck.

I am in Savannah Georgia and the truck is in Huntsville Alabama. I need to get the brakes checked out too. I'll keep my eye open for a pump. Apparently it's the main one by the engine. I saw a rebuilt head in the classified section for a couple of hundred dollars. Guess I should have the shop get the numbers off the old one?

Jeff

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have seen complete NOS injection pumps on fleabay for $995 (which I think is way too much but I guess they are a limited commodity) so I am kind of curious how your mechanic came up with $1800 in parts, unless he plans on replacing the radiator and head gaskets at the same time (rofl).

Ditto to everyone's comments: Sold as is-buyer beware. GL are scumbags of the user car dealership variety, but you know what you're doing when you do the dance with them.

My advice: Get it home, buy an IP (either used, rebuilt or NOS) and swap it yourself. It isn't hard. Lots of threads here detail how as well as the tech manual.

Also, come to the Ga Rally in October! Info below.

here are the pics from last year: Newer! 2010 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

And there is some discussion about the 2011 event here: 2011 GA rally Definite dates???

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I believe GL states that the description DOES NOT guarantee to be accurate, that there MAY be MORE things WRONG, that a eyes on is suggested,. The is the name of the game in the GL world

jollyroger

Yep.....Caveat emptor.......Let the buyer beware. I have found that dealing with GL is not much different than dealing with used cars, like Clinto said or any other auction house. You really gotta take responsibility for previewing or just take it as it comes. I've had stuff removed from trucks after the auction closed while I was waiting for an EUC to clear. But what am I going to do? If I refuse the auction I still get charged back 10% from GL. They get my money either way. I might as well have the item.

Once you remove the proerty from a GL lot, you own it. No take backs. You can file a claim with them but I would not think you will find success there. But who knows. Maybe they will work with you. They have been nice enough to work with me on some issues but I had to be persistient, metered in my approach and ask for a solution that was a compromise at best. You can't treat GL like you are at the returns desk at Home Depot. They DON'T play that way.

And Hey Clinto. My dad is a used car dealer and has been since 1979. Dad's one of the good guys in that business. I know. Very rare. And that's why we don't sell a lot of cars anymore. It's a tough business. If you think a normal used car dealer will screw the GP. You should see what they will do to another dealer. Man have we got stories. :wink::grin:

essayons07

The truck is a deuce. I bought the 5 ton (my avitar) a while back from Richmond Va.

I suppose its the head on the injection pump? Fuel gets from the tank to the pump but not from the pump to the injectors.

Jeff

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like clinto said get the truck home and find a different mechanic . It sounds like they feel they have you over a barrel ,with it in alabama and you being in georgia.

Sirblissfull

What is the name of the Mechanic in Huntsville?

I used a really good tow company there by the name of JT towing 1 256 858 3339 hauled my 5 ton for 250$.

We have a lot of members in the area that might be able to store the vehicle until you can arrange to pick it up. Would buy you time to find the part for a decent price or arrange time to pick it up.

I would say a storage lot for 50 a month would be cheaper then mechanic storage fees of course that depends on the lot and security.

essayons07

Good point on the storage.

Rocket City Truck and Trailer Repair has the truck. He seems like a good guy over the phone. I'm heading to Huntsville in two weeks so may bring the tools to work on it myself.

Jeff

papercu

I am in Savannah Georgia and the truck is in Huntsville Alabama.
Sell the truck where it is, just the haul bill will be a killer. There are plenty of trucks in Southeast Ga. you can look at first then buy. Wayne

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Is the truck still at GL Redstone?

I have a buddy that will recover the truck and bring it to my place....I will store it for you no charge until you can come over here and have your way with it. I might even be able to get you a pump from a friend of mine that has parts trucks.

PM for details.

My reputation preceeds me.

poppop

Hello and welcome to the madness. I am located close to Statesboro. Testmaster in Savannah rebuilds pumps and has experience with military pumps. I don't think he has any parts left but if you get the truck or pump down here he is a straight up guy and maybe can give you some good advice. If you get it down here I have a couple pumps I bought as parts donors and may have what you need. My first advice would be to work with wreckerman and get a complete working pump but if I can help I will be more than happy to. If you go to testmaster talk to Leon, the owner, and tell him Lloyd Strickland from the Rusty Relics antique tractor club sent you to him. He was a member of our organization at one time.

3dAngus

Ranchhopper had a very reasonable price on newly rebuilt via govt. contract IPs last week.

You should email him and see if he has one left. I think he bought 5 and mostly just wanted to get his money back. If he still has one, you could save a ton of money if you can install it yourself, or get some help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks