• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in NC, M1123 needs some love

RJTM998

Have you taken the air filter out? Looks like engine has sat out uncovered, and robbed of parts. See if you can figure out if there is water in the air filter housing, etc. Mind us asking what he paid for the truck? It can get to the point of no return with what it will cost to get a truck up and running not counting cosmetics like, tops, doors, seats, etc.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whoops, fat fingered my reply. Core charges and shipping may make a reman model not seem attractive. See my $11k+ quote from meltons.

Months ago meltons had a reman motor selling for like 3k plus shipping but no core charge because it had been a canceled order or somet.hing
I would certainly look for a good takeout GEP engine before I would pony up the big bucks for a Melton which could very well be just a rebuilt GM engine.

Last edited:

grmorrow04

Update - I pulled the starter out, and it's definitely bad. The teeth on the bendix are all chewed up.

I read somewhere on here from a gentleman that's been working on these for 25 years that there should be two shims at the starter - this one only had one thin one. I'm thinking that was what chewed up the bendix.

I also put my multimeter to the glow plugs and the start box - neither of which are good.

I've relayed this information to my nephew, so now the ball is in his court as far as what he wants to do with the truck.

grmorrow04

Simple yes. Not sure where his cutoff for spending on repairs will be.

Other issues I've noticed (some already mentioned):
Radiator is leaking where the tank meets the cooing channels
Noticed a coolant drip from the passenger side footwell area (are there heater cores in these?)
Brake master cylinder is missing
Gauges are all missing
CDR valve is missing
Headlights missings
Needs proper alternator (200amp)
Needs alternator pulley
Needs serpentine belt
Needs proper size batteries (the two that came with it are too big to fit in the battery area)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks