• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy needs help

kwillis

hello, i'm new here so bear with me please. i need some info on some parts and the way that things are suspose to work. i am helping a friend work on his buggy, don't kill me but we took and old deuse and cut it up to make this buggy. all i can tell you about this is the deuce is it is a 2.5 ton running rear that has the banjo style axles in it also it originally had a straight 6 engine.
the cab, motor, trans, and last rear axle was removed trom the frame. the front axle, transfercase and front rear axle stayed in frame. the frame was bobbed and a ford 302 motor was added along with an auto trans and transfercase to a4 speed manual trans to the 2.5 ton transfercase. a deck was built and 69 inch tall v tread tires were added. now my question is, when driving forward the front axle doesn't pull, but put it in reverse and it works.
there is 2 shift levers that stub out of the transfercase, the top stub seems to put the case into neutral and the lower stub does nothing. when you pull out on the lower stub it will not stay out and seems to be spring loaded. need to know what case this is and is there a hi/ low range or a 2wd/4wd way to this case. also i know that this case turns in a counter rotation.
thank you and some input would be helpfull, i would like to get some pics to post for yall to look at and see what we have.:?::?::?::?:

Your transfercase is single speed ratio is 1.16 to 1 the bottom shift rod needs to be shifted for forward and reverse . forward is in and reverse is out

kwillis

thanks for the welcome,
so if i got this right then when it reverse the stub should be in and when going in forward the stub thould be pulled out. is this normally done with air or was there a linkage the did it automatically through the trans mission.
i think this site is gonna be very helpfull to me, because we run a lot of trucks with the 2.5 ton top and face load axles.

poppop

There are two types of transfercases. If this truck was nor updated then it has the old sprag transfer case. Enguagement of the front axle was automatic when the rear wheels slipped. There was a forward and a reverse sprag so the axle could pull in one direction and not the other if one sprag is bad. These cases were very problematic in the dueces and most were replaced with an air-shift t-case. If you truck has one there should be a toggle switch under the dash in the center. The air shift cases were inguaged manually be the driver and worked in both directions.

In reverse the stub needs to be out .forward stub needs to be in . on m122/ m135 trucks all the linkage is rods that all tie in to the transmission shift control .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks