• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy, New Truck, Old Question...

rottiedog

Hey there,

I already type all this once then the computer froze. Same type of luck with the truck but I have only just started. The truck is a M1009 with only 6300 miles. I put in new batteries and tried to start it. Wasn't expecting much. All the lights came on, wait light went out, just a click from a relay under the dash when trying to start.

I will check some wiring tomorrow.

Pictures coming next...
Mike
M1009

CCATLETT1984

ok, you get a click sound when trying to crank? or when turning the key to run (you should hear the click when turning it to run, this is the Glow Plug relay)?
the Glow Plug relay is on the firewall, just next to the brake booster. If the engine is cranking but doesnt start, then odds are you have bad glow plugs.

if your getting a "buzzing" sound from under the dash, then its the starter relay that needs to be replaced.

rottiedog

Re: RE: New Guy, New Truck, Old Question...

CCATLETT1984 said:
ok, you get a click sound when trying to crank? or when turning the key to run (you should hear the click when turning it to run, this is the Glow Plug relay)?
the Glow Plug relay is on the firewall, just next to the brake booster. If the engine is cranking but doesnt start, then odds are you have bad glow plugs.

if your getting a "buzzing" sound from under the dash, then its the starter relay that needs to be replaced.
Just a single click from in the cab. I can find out really quick because the relays are hanging down from un der the dash but it is one of them. There are two black and one bigger silver relay hanging down and it seems like the only thing that happens is that one of them clicks.

Engine is NOT cranking but the relay you mentioned next to the brakes is a potential problem. Sombody was obviously troubleshooting there before.

rottiedog

Alright. Thanks. I'll grab one of the silver relays tomorrow and give it a shot.

The lights in the garage a pretty cool. My son had been asking for something like that for skateboarding and I saw those at Homedepot.

Attachments

rottiedog

Re: RE: Re: RE: New Guy, New Truck, Old Question...

CCATLETT1984 said:
if the engine is not cranking, then its the silver relay.

go to the parts store and get a AC40 relay. (or the brand equiv. that they carry)
I was thinking you were crazy but now I think you are brilliant!! I ordered the relay that was called "high/low blower" relay and the damn thing fired right up!!! Full tank fo fuel too!! Runs great. Only thing not working is the reverse lights but I can figure that out tomorrow. Went for a ride down the street. I let my 16 year old daughter drive it and now she wants the truck! She wants to paint the circle number plate on the front bumper neon pink??? with a smiley face on it!!! I said no, IT'S MINE

thanks again!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Guy, New Truck, Old Question...

Great! That's why this site is so handy. If you buy a truck and something is broken, chances are someone on here has already been through it and knows what to do. Welcome to the SS family Mike!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rottiedog said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
if the engine is not cranking, then its the silver relay.

go to the parts store and get a AC40 relay. (or the brand equiv. that they carry)
I was thinking you were crazy but now I think you are brilliant!! I ordered the relay that was called "high/low blower" relay and the dang thing fired right up!!! Full tank fo fuel too!! Runs great. Only thing not working is the reverse lights but I can figure that out tomorrow. Went for a ride down the street. I let my 16 year old daughter drive it and now she wants the truck! She wants to paint the circle number plate on the front bumper neon pink??? with a smiley face on it!!! I said no, IT'S MINE

thanks again!
CC, you get a gold star for this www . diagnosis! Way to go. [thumbzup]

Rottiedog, someone else here on SS just had their wife draw a "smiley face" on their yellow bridge plate! Better be careful letting the teen age daughter drive the CUCV, It's sure to attract the BOYS! (it would be a good excuse to get another one though)(CUCV not daughter)

Croatan_Kid

You told me you have an M1009 and live in the same town as me, but you didn't say anything about a daughter! If she likes your CUCV, wait til she sees mine lol! JK, congrats on gettin it started though....I'll be lookin for you on the highway. [thumbzup]

Also, it might not be your backup lights....push the shifter up when you put it in reverse and see if they come on. Sometimes mine won't unless I do that, sorta like it's loose or something.

rottiedog

doghead said:
rottiedog said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
CC, you get a gold star for this www . diagnosis! Way to go. [thumbzup]

Rottiedog, someone else here on SS just had their wife draw a "smiley face" on their yellow bridge plate! Better be careful letting the teen age daughter drive the CUCV, It's sure to attract the BOYS! (it would be a good excuse to get another one though)(CUCV not daughter)
No more kids but another cucv would be nice. Watching the GS stuff. A duece might be next.

Did a lot tonight. Seats are out. Floor mat crap was torn out. There was over half an inch of mud and dirt under parts of it. I wonder if this truck was submerged at some point. Little rust near the rockers but not too bad.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
rottiedog said:
Hey there,

I already type all this once then the computer froze. Same type of luck with the truck but I have only just started. The truck is a M1009 with only 6300 miles. I put in new batteries and tried to start it. Wasn't expecting much. All the lights came on, wait light went out, just a click from a relay under the dash when trying to start.

I will check some wiring tomorrow.

Pictures coming next...
Mike
M1009
I think it may have more than 6300 hundred on it........

rottiedog

\[/quote]

I think it may have more than 6300 hundred on it........[/quote]

I agree. Speedo is missing the needle but the odometer seems to be working. The main reason that I think it has more than 6300 miles is the wear on the brake pedal. Other than that, it had some records up to the mid 90's and that was it. Kind of hoping it was running more recent and that the fuel gauge is working. It says full but I will find out soon. Back to work. Sanding the floors down. Not much rust but there is some

rottiedog

Croatan_Kid said:
You told me you have an M1009 and live in the same town as me, but you didn't say anything about a daughter! If she likes your CUCV, wait til she sees mine lol! JK, congrats on gettin it started though....I'll be lookin for you on the highway. [thumbzup]

Also, it might not be your backup lights....push the shifter up when you put it in reverse and see if they come on. Sometimes mine won't unless I do that, sorta like it's loose or something.
Yeah, my little girl seems to like trucks.

Going to try and check the revese lights again once I can get someone to look.

rottiedog

Croatan_Kid said:
Let me know if you ever need help working on your truck, I'm always up for lending a hand.
Thanks, might be callin you. Looks like the u-joints might be on their way out. Thumping bad when I hit the gas. The odometer is working so the miles might be correct. Rough miles if they are correct.

I'll be workining on it tomorrow. Come on by if you want to check it out. I'll be watching the Pats beat up on NY later in the day but that's a different story....

Croatan_Kid

U-joints are easy enough...I do them all the time. No big deal there. I would come by, but I have to work...I get off at 6 though. Let me know if you need some help, I reckon I can stop on by.