• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy with a mep 005a

Rickety Bones

ok,

Hello all, have a question or two,

first the back ground,

just picked up a MEP 005a for 500 in barstow @ navy base, the unit has 2000 hours, on the outside it is very clean, no oil of fuel leaks. I replaced all the filters and fluids. No missing parts or any undone wires.

after cleaning the 2 lift pumps that supply the gravity feed tank, and purging the lines / filters of air @ the hose connection right before the injector pump, I decided to try and fire it up.

I can get it running on WD-40 real well by squirting into the mouth of the manifold, but it seems to not be getting fuel to the injectors. I loosened a couple of the banjo fittings on the high side of the pump to see if any fuel was coming out while cranking the motor over. surprise no fuel,

so here is my question, is their a way to bleed the air from the injector pump, or is their a way to force feed it to get the air out?

second question is about the injector pump itself, their is a lever on the outside of the injector that moves about 40 degrees back and fourth, I not sure which position this is soposed to be in towards radiator or towards controll panel. also what is it and what does it control. its not the accelerator line, that one is between the pump and the block.

any help will be appreciated

thanks for the help

Rick

leedawg

Hey Rick 500 good price. I was bidding in the same auction. Got mine for 650 and 1k for the other unit. The 1k unit is the worse of the two but we will see if she runs. Ive been working on the 650 one right now.

Um you are pretty much going down the same road I just did this week. Look at my other thread ive been posting in. That lever on the side is a manual fuel shut off lever. It should be all the way back toward the control panel when the unit is running for the pump to be pumping fuel.

There is also a solenoid inside that housing the lever is connected to. The Solenoide actuates the same mechanism to electrically cut off the fuel. IT is spring loaded to shut off the fuel when power is cut to the solenoid. Well when they stopped these things they did not drain all the fuel and it has kinda of gotten stuck in this position so even though the solenoid energizes the mechanism is stuck shut still. What you need to do is take off the T fitting and remove the three bolts and take the cover off of the pump. Look at the pictures in my other thread. You will see a little lever closest to you at the back of the housing (toward the control panel of the unit). Shoot some penetrating oil in there and try to work that thing forward toward the radiator. Make sure that lever on the outside is all the way back when your re doing this. You should get it to free up and then just make sure it moves really nice back and forth. That should solve the problem if the pump is good it will start pumping fuel once that mechanism is freed up. If you need more detailed pictures let me know Im going to be doing it to the other one probably tomorrow so I can take some video for you to watch if you want.

Lee

Rickety Bones

Well-all-right private first class adams reporting.......lol

ok I got the cover off the injector pump, man what mess inside, alot of what looks like rust and corrosion. sucked all of the old diesel out with a syringe sprayed with oil and got all of the parts moving and somewhat cleaned............... still looks pretty bad.

So I was wondering if I could use some "over the counter" diesel injector cleaner and pour into this reservoir and let it sit for a while to try to clean this area a bit more, really do not want to remove the pump from the motor. Is their a drain on the bottom of the unit so I can drain the cleaning fluid and rust from ?

Rick

Rickety Bones

Ok tried to start, no go, seems im not getting power to the top of the injector pump, anyone know if their is a fuse to check for that?

private first class Adams, reporting, ten hut !!!!

leedawg

Um there is a window on the side with a cover being held over it with two screws. take those out and pull the window dont lose the gasket. all the stuff you put in there should drain right out through the side. I cranked it over a bit with a bunch of cleaning solutions in the injector pump. I went and bought the standyne performance injection cleaner seems to work pretty good and most people revere it as the best on the market. After I did all that the pump started pumping fuel and the motor fired right up. Are you sure the fuel cut off linkage is moving?

Rickety Bones

run my house, I own a adult care home and the state of AZ is now requiring back up power.

and yes I am aware of the dog leg mod to make it supply 240VAC single phase if that's where you were going, thanks

my largest energy consumption is 15 tons of A/C and 6 refrigerators and 5 oxygen concentrators.

everything else is GAS.

Rickety Bones

All right all you privates bucking for lieutenants. listen up

Ok, my injector pump is not pumping fuel to the injectors.

I have had the top off the IP 3 different times, I have rigged 5 mirriors, 2 flashlights and a butt scope to look inside, from what I can see all the parts are moving freely and with ease.

The throttle lever moves back and fourth with ease.

I have had all of the banjo fittings off, while running the engine on WD-40 and not a drop of fuel comes out. moved the throttle cable back and forth and the manual fuel cut off back and forth, still no fuel. I also checked to ensure the solenoid was moving back and fourth while cranking and it works good.

does anyone know any other tricks I can try before taking this to the local diesel shop for service, I just hate to pay 100/hr shop time when I know I can prob fix myself.

and I need a opinion on rebuild or just buy new ?

Thanks all,

AT EASE SOLIDER

jbk

i had a similar problem with my 004. the metering valve was stuck, freed it with a spring hook and then started getting fuel. be sure the linkage works freely. you need to get a breakdown of the pump to identify parts serch roosa/master stanadyne injection pumps.

Rickety Bones

i had a similar problem with my 004. the metering valve was stuck, freed it with a spring hook and then started getting fuel. be sure the linkage works freely. you need to get a breakdown of the pump to identify parts serch roosa/master stanadyne injection pumps.
BOY I would really love a breakdown of the pump, I have been looking everywhere and cant seem to find one, can you somehow point me in the right direction

its a stanadyne BDMFC-633-1LK

Please, I will approve you for a week end pass SOLIDER !!!!!!

Thanks Rick

leedawg

BOY I would really love a breakdown of the pump, I have been looking everywhere and cant seem to find one, can you somehow point me in the right direction

its a stanadyne BDMFC-633-1LK

Please, I will approve you for a week end pass SOLIDER !!!!!!

Thanks Rick
Send me a PM with your email I will send you the maint manuals goes over the complete rebuild of the IP and all the parts in it..

leedawg

see if this comes out i have more. this i think will show metering valve location.
Thanks for posting this great info much better than what is covered in the TM manual I am going to play with this more tomorrow to see if I can get my droop to be even less than it is..

Rickety Bones

see if this comes out i have more. this i think will show metering valve location.
That is helpful, thanks.

do you have the info on the rest of the pump by chance ?

I think the valve that solenoid moves is stuck, and its inside of the lower unit.

I think

Thanks

Rick

jbk

here is the tm breakdown. i think were talking about the same valve (metering) its hard to locate you would need to push it off its seat if its stuck.
page 3-52 figure 3-21

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks