• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with Problem M1009

rodymartin

I have a M1009 I bought at auction. It would not start. I need a little info.

Are these Chevy part numbers correct?

Brace/ Bracket

Direct drive starter uses GM P/N 14028931.

Reduction drive starter uses GM P/N 23502557

Bolts

I had a Diesel Blazer in the early 90's and had to a bracket to keep the starter from coming loose.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you start replacing parts, download the tech manuals and use the troubleshooting section to help find the problem.

It could be a simple as a missing/bad fuse.

The diesel starters do need the support brace to help keep from breaking the starter or even the block. There is so much torque that things will break.

The numbers look correct

Last edited:

OL AG '89

Welcome to affliction, now put the keys down and begin reading the TM's. Trust me!!!
You will learn SOOOOO much and then you can begin to tackle the issues. You will also be able to ask reasonable questions and maybe even quote the TM section you are working with....
We all will help when we can, but you are your best ally, because all of the answers to your issues are in the TM's....

Kick back read a little, LEARN a LOT!!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog, is that a 1009 with the easy-access fuel tank hatch installed in pic #2 of the previous post?

You bet. Along with no rust cab corners, Transfer case access and rear brake servicing. Pics to follow.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have the bracket and a bolt/stud that goes in starter?
I'm still confuse.

What style of starter do you have? Heavy and BIG direct drive? Or smaller and lighter gear reduction?

The bolts on the starter come with the starter. Only place I know to get one is from an alternator rebuild shop and it will be used. There are two types. Item four is a old sytle direct drive unit and the other digram and picture is a grea reduction starter.

There are also two types of brackets. One for the direct drive (few left in staock at you local GM dealer ~$2.00) and the newer gear reduction, also available at your local GM dealer ~$9

There are many posts about the two brackets. Last year someone posted that the direct drive braket was discontinued and I ordered a few from www.gmpartsdirect.com. Shipping cost more than the brackets

I just checked and both brackets and starter bolts are available at gmpartsdirect. Part numbers are at the start of this thread.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks