• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New in FL

purple_duckk

Just picked up a new 5 ton last weekend. Gave it a 320 mile shake down getting it home with minimal issues. First up is replacing a couple broken gauges and a full fluid and filters change, then a little body work to stop some minor cancer.

What a great resource this forum is for newbies. I've already bookmarked at least 100 threads here! But if anyone can point me in the direction of a thread about adding a transmission oil cooler I'd certainly be interested.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just picked up a new 5 ton last weekend. Gave it a 320 mile shake down getting it home with minimal issues. First up is replacing a couple broken gauges and a full fluid and filters change, then a little body work to stop some minor cancer.

What a great resource this forum is for newbies. I've already bookmarked at least 100 threads here! But if anyone can point me in the direction of a thread about adding a transmission oil cooler I'd certainly be interested.
Welcome to the Outfit! Nice looking truck too!

That 320 Shakedown Cruise is enough to know that she is ready to go play for sure.
If you want to upgrade the transmission cooler, there is a thread for that by @simp5782

purple_duckk

Welcome to the Outfit! Nice looking truck too!

That 320 Shakedown Cruise is enough to know that she is ready to go play for sure.
If you want to upgrade the transmission cooler, there is a thread for that by @simp5782

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much! I've already saved a bunch of his threads.

purple_duckk

Welcome to the madness and hang on ;-)
Is your cooler leaking? These trucks already come with a stout cooler/heat exchanger. There is also a spin on t-filter easy to change under the hood in addition to the one in the pan.
Not leaking, but she heats up faster than I would expect when doing any stop and go or if someone even whispers "hill".

I did 300 miles of my 320 mile run with zero issues, running between 50-58 pretty much the whole way on state highways and the expressway but 20 miles from home I was experiencing a drop in speed and it was shifting into higher gears way too early. I was in 5th at 30mph.

This happened immediately after I got into Clermont, which is on the Central Florida Ridge and not only had stop and go traffic but has the only hills in Florida. I got to a truck stop and let it cool down for a couple hours and made it back the rest of the way just fine.

Part of the issue is the tranny temp gauge was broken out and I, of course, ordered one up. But the engine temp never got above 160 even climbing hills and through traffic, so my initial thought is the tranny oil cooler might not be working the best and if I'm going to change it, might as well change it to something better.

When I pulled over the torpedo tube tranny cooler was pretty hot so it didn't seem to be exchanging heat that well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks