• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1009 owner have some questions

T_F_E

Hello all my names mike I am 17 and I just bought an old m1009 for a good price. I have done a lot of work on gas rigs but this diesel is definetly something different. I bought the truck and drove it home about 60 miles and it performed flawlessly. I have a few problems that I hope you guys can help me with. First there is a small oil leak coming from somewhere above the oil filter but I have not been able to pinpoint it, any ideas? Also There is a clear fluid that is running down the bell housing and dripping off about where the hole is in the bottom, I believe there are brake lines running right above it. I would assume this is diesel, it doesnt seem like brake fluid but I have never seen DOT 5 before. Finally my fuel gauge doesnt move its stuck around a quarter tank. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated thanks!

EO2NMCB

Your leak on the bell housing is more than likely fuel from the injector pump. IP will leak into the intake valley then down the back of the motor. If the truck has been sitting a long time the seals will dry up on the IP. You may get lucky, drive it a few weeks and the fuel may lube up the seals. Use the TM's Which you can down load from here, to trouble shoot the fuel gauge, would guess bad sending unit.

T_F_E

Yeah I did notice fuel in the intake valleys, I really hope it seals up for me then. I couldn't find anything in the TM's for the fuel gauge. The oil leak seems to run down the header on the driver side any ideas? I think its probably something in the hoses up there.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

Here it is from TM-20, hope this helps.
29. FUEL GAGE INACCURATE​

Step 1. Check 20 amp ignition fuse.
Replace if burned out.

CAUTION​
replace switch.
trace circuit. (See wiring diagram F-4 or​
DO NOT leave key
follow this caution
in “RUN” position for more than 2 minutes. Failure to
may result in damage to glow plugs.​
Step 2. Disconnect fuel tank sending unit ground from frame. Turn key to “RUN” position.
If fuel gage reads “F“ (Full), perform step 3.
If fuel gage does not read “F” (Full), replace fuel gage. (See paragraph 4-7)​
2-70
Table 2-4. Electrical Troubleshooting
TM 9-2320-289-20
(Con’t)
MALFUNCTION
TEST OR INSPECTION
CORRECTIVE ACTION​
Step 3. Disconnect pink fuel tank sending unit lead and touch lead to any ground.
If fuel gage reads “E“ (Empty), replace fuel tank sending unit,
paragraph 3-11 or 3-12)
If fuel gage does not read “E” (Empty), replace fuel gage.
paragraph 4-7)​
30. OIL PRESSURE LIGHT INOPERATIVE​
(See

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks