• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner In Need of HELP!

Gimpy_M1009

I'm a newbie to both diesels and MV's so bear with me please. I recently got an 86 M1009, the wait light refuses to come on at all, checked the bulb it was fine, have checked the fuses, all good. Another problem with the cluster is the lighting for the gauges, two of them refuse to work, once again checked the bulbs, fine, fuses, fine.
It also refuses to start, i live in wyoming and the temps get rather cold, so plugging in the block heater and a very small shot of ether seem to start it fine. The man i bought it from said the injection pump seal was the culprit behind the starting issues. Do i really have to pull the intake to get to this thing? I haven't run the wires yet but am planning to as soon as daylight hits.
Any help with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You Much
Gimpy

shannondeese

On my 1009 the power wire to the light was cut, the glow plug relay was fried, and so was the controler. I ran a 5 sec delay switch and just hit it when I am ready to fire it up. The switch turns them on for 5 seconds. If that's not enough I turn them on again. Works like a champ. I don't remember where I got the switch from but I think it was radio shack.

Lawrence of Arabia

I eliminated the glow plug card and wait light and also put a manual switch in both of my trucks. Works great. I think there is something in the resources under the technical help.

I have had to pull my manifold off a couple of times. Looks like more work than it actually is, but yes it makes it way easier to get IP off.

Dodgeman1941

I would be curious to know if your glowplug system is even working. No light and no start???? Do you hear the gp relay click when to turn the key on? Is there power at the GP when you turn the key? If the gp isn't working, and you get that fixed, you might solve thestarting problem. My son's 1009 has a manual sysem in it.

If there is any possibilty that the gp sysem is working DO NOT USE EITHER!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks