• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner in Western Colorado

MCK5

Hello everyone,
I purchased an M1009 earlier this summer and came across this site while searching for some info on fixing it. I've been lurking around, trying to soak up all the information I could and I figured it was about time I introduce myself.

I've messed around with a few wranglers and decided it was time to step up to a little bit bigger vehicle. I was searching for a K5 and just happened to come across an M1009 that fit the bill. I was out enjoying some trails by my house, running through some mud, climbing a few rocks and the truck took pretty much everything I threw at it. I found a large puddle/small pond and decided to take a crack at crossing it. I made it about half way before the truck got stuck. I was able to keep the truck running, but had to get a buddy to pull me out of the water. We got the Blazer out of the water and parked on some dry land to take a break after our little ordeal. I shut the truck off and we we BS'd for a little bit. When we got ready to go, I hopped in the truck, turned the key and...nothing.

We towed the truck home and I immediately pulled the glow plugs and cranked the motor by hand to make sure I hadn't gotten any water in the cylinders after I shut the truck down. Nothing came out. I got everything put back together and realized that the front battery was cracked and leaking. I replaced the battery, and was able to get the motor to crank a few times, but never got it to fire. Eventually the starter would no longer turn the motor over, so I assumed that I had burnt it up. I found a replacement 24V starter, put the starter on and went to fire it up...nothing. Just clicks from the solenoid, but nothing more.

I've been a weekend warrior/part time tinkerer for a little while and consider myself at least moderatly competant when it comes to mechanical repair. Give me enough time, and a big enough hammer, and I'll usually make it work. Electrical repair on the other hand, has never been my specialty. Combine that with the 24V system on these trucks, and I am sunk.

So, here is my call for help: I am wondering if there is anyone out here in Western Colorado who would be willing to lend a hand in getting my truck back on the road? I checked out the members list for anyone near me and came across one guy who lives just across town (da_sgt), but I haven't had any luck in getting in contact with him. Anyone else on the western slope have some experience with these trucks?

Thanks for reading, hit me up if you're in the area and willing to lend a hand.
Thanks, Mike.

Barrman

Welcome to the fun. Probably the best thing you could do is click on the CUCV forum and then read the FAQ thread for CUCV's sticky. The manuals will be listed out in there, troubleshooting, common faults and basically everything you need to know about operating, repairing and using the vehicle.

MCK5

Here are a couple shots of my truck when I first got it home.
Supposedly, it came out of Fort Carson down near Colorado Springs, CO.
I was told it was being used as a maintenance vehicle on the golf course, hence the white paint. The previous owner spent a bunch of time sanding down the left front fender, trying to get rid of the paint but didn't get very far. I found that a good pressure washer seems to flake the white paint right off. I took the picture after just working on the drivers door for a minute. It's like they used a latex paint or something similar. Or maybe it's just that nothing will stick to the CARC without some prepwork.

Attachments

Jerchambers

your startin issues

Hey man I live just up the road in Craig. Check the wiring behind the rear battery on the resistor. My stopped turning until I checked all contacts on the. the inline fuse may have a bad connection.

MCK5

IT RUNS!:jumpin:
I checked the fusible links behind the batteries.
The links themselves were still good.
But with a little more messing around, I found that the solid core portion of the wire leading to the starter selonoid was broken in a few places.

I chopped of the bad sections, put in a new in-line fuse, (a little diesel down the intake) and it fired right up.

One more CUCV back on the raod!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks