• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M1009 owner

ABN173

Hi Steel SLDRS: I am going to pick up my "new" 1985 M1009 from Atlanta next weekend. All I know is that the body looks very good, as well as the interior, and it is running. This M1009 also has a 6" lift kit and has new HUMV tires. I am PCS'ing from FT Benning to FT Lewis and I will be driving this vehicle over 3,000 miles. So I have a couple of questions:
1. What is the towing capacity of the M1009?
2. What recommendations do you guys have before driving this thing cross-country? (I have a bit to get her checked out 1st)

Thanks,
Dale Campbell
CW2, AV
"All The Way"

mangus580

Dale, I would suggest doing some reading in the CUCV section. You will find all of this answered, as well as much more that can/will be helpful for your journey.

FYI, I drove mine 1200 miles the day I bought it.. :)

IRWFO

Welcome and congrats on you new truck. My first suggestion is to get a pack of ear plugs. Drive a tanks full of fuel with them on and take them off when you are near the refueling station. You will really be surprised how loud your truck is and how happy you brought the hearing protection. ;-)

ABN173

Thanks, I drove one of these CUCV's back in Desert Storm. Maybe it was because that was so long ago but I don't remember them being that loud. I've been reading all the threads and I only found one that mentioned a guess of 5k as the towing capacity, that seems a bit low for a 6.2L, (my 2wd Ford Explorer has a 5,200lbs towing capacity). The truck I'm getting is a M1009 Command/blazer type

Dale

Attachments

mangus580

The problem you will have ABN, is the 3.08 gears. They are crappy for towing as it is... and then you add in the 36" tall tire.... you are gonna have a hard time towing much more than say 3k happily.

ABN173

Thanks Mike, Just trying to figure out which vehicle I'm going to pull the trailer with. Guess I'm going to stick with the Ford as it already has the class III hitch and the pwr brake box on it. I had hoped I could use the M1009 to tow as my wife is not going to want to pull the trailer or drive the M1009.....I'm going too have to get creative on this move LOL

galeo7171

Do you need someone to go look at the blazer before you make the trip up? I live in the Atlanta area and would be more than happy to go take a look at if for you and take some pictures of it.

ABN173

Mike,

I still plan on buying one, probably somewhere between 6' x 12' or 7'x 14' enclosed V-nose type. I'm basically planning a partial DITY move/PCS.

Dale

ABN173

I have actually been considering just that, although it may not hold enough it would make a good match. Since my m1009 has a 6" lift on it that might cause problems too.

Dale

Last edited:

mangus580

It wont cause problems, as i think the pintle ring is flipped down stock.

Too bad you are in GA... I have one for sale here in NY.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks