• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 problems

Northscout207

I have been looking around for a couple weeks in here but have not found an answer.

I just bought 2 m1009's one for parts (the body is rusted). The problem I am having is it turns over but doesn't start. I found leaks in the fuel lines from the tank so I ran a line into a 5 gallon jug of fresh diesel for diagnostics. I get plenty of fuel at the filter so I am pretty sure the pump works fine. I have checked the solenoid on the IP, it clicks and is getting 12V, I cracked all the injectors and just get a drip out of them. The guy I bought it off of says it ran when he parked it two years ago, but who knows how true that is. I think I may need to get a new IP, but from what I have read there are a few things to check first. I live in northern NH so I am limited to ordering most stuff online. I have only been in the army a four years and only drove in a CUCV a few times. So I know little about them.

Thanks

Northscout207

I worked on it a little tonight, pulled two glow plug, checked them and got 1.3 ohms. The are ACDELCO 30G's, so aftermarket. They looked fairly new. I was able to get more fuel out of injector lines, instead of a drip its a small spurt. I am almost getting ready to swap the engine with the parts truck just need time. I really dont want to because northern nh is cold this time of year.kind of run into a bind because batteries only last so long, and chargers only charge so fast.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Do you have other running vehicles? Get TWO and use TWO sets of jumper cables, one from each vehicle to each battery of the m1009) to jump start it.

BTW, can you hear the glow plug relay click when you turn the ignition to ON? If you have fuel flow (get a quart of diesel booster to clean and help out with your old diesel), and the injector is pumping, then it should start.

skark_burmer

If it has sat a while it will take quite a bit of cranking.
Like 30 seconds, so good batteries and fresh starter cable/ground cables are required.

worst case scenario to get it running:
Make sure your fuel filter is not clogged and you have fuel. If it is covered with a rust looking material that is likely fungus, and it has clogged all sorts of internal parts. then you got other issues.

anyways...
2 people, one person in the truck cranking it at full throttle. Foot stays to the floor.
the second person has a spray bottle full of #2, spraying into the open intake (no air filter) If the glow plugs are working, it WILL start. If it dies when you stop spraying, then you know you have fuel delivery issues and can work from there.

Sometimes this method will get the remaining air out of the lines and revive a stubborn truck.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Good to hear. The M1009 I bought had a lot of parts missing, but I believe that the GSA parked it and started cannibalizing it because it had a bad fuel pump. After I got it running, it runs GREAT. It has other very small problems, bad fast idle switch and solenoid, instrument lights burned out, fuses loose in sockets, and things like that, but they are more annoyances than problems.

CUCV85

good trick indeed

ITS ALIVE!!! turned out to be a bad glow plug relay. after that just had to get it primed. Thanks for the spray bottle tip it helped.
If it has sat a while it will take quite a bit of cranking.
Like 30 seconds, so good batteries and fresh starter cable/ground cables are required.

worst case scenario to get it running:
Make sure your fuel filter is not clogged and you have fuel. If it is covered with a rust looking material that is likely fungus, and it has clogged all sorts of internal parts. then you got other issues.

anyways...
2 people, one person in the truck cranking it at full throttle. Foot stays to the floor.
the second person has a spray bottle full of #2, spraying into the open intake (no air filter) If the glow plugs are working, it WILL start. If it dies when you stop spraying, then you know you have fuel delivery issues and can work from there.

Sometimes this method will get the remaining air out of the lines and revive a stubborn truck.
I had heard about the squirting of diesel into the intake with a quick SMALL shot of Starting fluid- from a helper -ONLY WHILE TRUCK IS TURNING OVER.
(Don't forget to unhook the wire from each Glow Plug)
I didn't know just diesel would work!
I heard the DB2 Injection Pump is some what self priming to an extent.
I mean you get even a small amount of fuel into that IP
it will rock and roll and take care of it's self ("prime")

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks