• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brought home the M1009 last week, just now managed to take a few picks. It runs and drives great, no leaks...inside or out. Shifts alot smoother than I thought it would. The dash seems to have a gray colored vinyl cover glued to it, It looks factory, no cracks in it, i'm not sure if it is original or not, a few rips in the front drivers seat, but seats in overall great condition. We plan on using herculiner on the floor both front and back, anybody have any luck with that stuff? Scouts like this one because its a little easier to change the oil and stuff....the dueces are a little more intimidating to work on. Any tips, or advice, or things to look out for for a new M1009 owner. And yes I have the TM's and am making my way through them.

Attachments

mistaken1

Nice looking truck. The gray dash pad is a new one that has not been stained. I have one too. Beats the heck out of a burgundy one that is all cracked up.

I see a spare too.

jw4x4

That sure is a nice looking 09. the first thing to do is change ALL fluids and replace all drive belts, radiator hoses, and heater hoses, and wiper blades to begin with.

Doc Bingo

I put the herculiner inside my M1009 and it looks great !!! Very happy ! However I took 3 days and scrubbed the truck clean each day let it dry each day for at least 12 hours bfr I cleaned again ... I scrubbed out so much crap it was incredible ! Take your time doing the cleaning and scratching the surface the extra effort I put in I think really made the difference on my truck ... I only did the floor but have intentions on going 4 to 6 inches high all the way around and to do the bed ...I also took out the Chairs and basically gutted the truck to make sure I had room to roll it right ... I used about 2/3 of a gal and went over it 3 times to make it look real thick ... In between coats I had to wait about 2 days for it to dry and not be tacky ... But I did it in January when it was like 40 out so that slowed the drying process . . . Also in case I didn't tell u bfr clean clean clean ... Bfr u put it on ...And make sure u stir can of herculiner really good ........ !

Last edited:

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice, we plan on replacing all the hoses, fluids, belts, filters, shocks, etc all the stuff that doesn't require a lot of mechanical experience, remember 12 to 18 y/o scouts will be doing most of the work. Doc, what did you use to prepare the surface, sandpaper, 3m pads, wire brush? we will take out the seats and let the boys go to town on the floor, how far did you go, did you just scratch the surface up or take it down to metal. What did you use to clean the truck?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice, we plan on replacing all the hoses, fluids, belts, filters, shocks, etc all the stuff that doesn't require a lot of mechanical experience, remember 12 to 18 y/o scouts will be doing most of the work. Doc, what did you use to prepare the surface, sandpaper, 3m pads, wire brush? we will take out the seats and let the boys go to town on the floor, how far did you go, did you just scratch the surface up or take it down to metal. What did you use to clean the truck?

One word of advise. Disconnect the batteries before changing the passenger side belt. It is possible to short the alternator out and fry something.

Been there, done that.

Also clean all the fuses and fuse holders.