• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New (m422a1) Mighty mite owner

jrlatt

Hello all

I am very new to the site. I have inherited two mites. Looking forward to spending more time on the site as I move forward with getting them into running condition. They have been stored inside since the early 70's. One has a very nice body and quite complete, but I know the engine needs to be rebuilt. The other has a body that is not as good but was driven regularly in the 70's, then stored. I think it had the engine rebuilt. I am hoping to start working on them when the weather warms up. Any help in the process would be appreciated. Thanks

Jrlatt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Mites are great little trucks with combat history. Most parts are available thanks to Sam Werner who hoarded these parts back in the day. Couple tidbits for you: the aluminum cylinder jugs were chrome plated on the inside and this plating can peel off after years. Check into that on yours before you crank it up using a bore camera. The front axle spindles had an upgrade due to breakage, the new design shafts have an X on the end where the nut is.

jrlatt

Welcome! Mites are great little trucks with combat history. Most parts are available thanks to Sam Werner who hoarded these parts back in the day. Couple tidbits for you: the aluminum cylinder jugs were chrome plated on the inside and this plating can peel off after years. Check into that on yours before you crank it up using a bore camera. The front axle spindles had an upgrade due to breakage, the new design shafts have an X on the end where the nut is.
Thanks.
I will definitely check the cylinders before trying to turn it over.
I remember my dad had a front bolt break on a hunting trip. He made a skid out of some lumber and got it home, then had some better bolts made.

I have some spare cylinders that have the chrome peeling. Is there a place that can repair them?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's quite an inheritance! Congratulations and condolences at the same time.

Do you have any photos to share with us pic-hounds???

I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Where in Minnesota are you? Have a dear friend here in Texas from up there.... Brainerd, MN area.

jrlatt

Where in Minnesota are you? Have a dear friend here in Texas from up there.... Brainerd, MN area.
Thanks

I am in the cities. I will try and post some photos. Currently it is in a shed that I am not likely to get to till it warms up. I have some old ones that I will try and up load.

jrlatt

These photos are from late 70,s or early 80’s when it was running well. Not to many years later it went into storage.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks