• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M818 in yard.

beaubeau

:cookoo: Hey guys, I do not want to ruffle any Feathers, but I have an observation after buying my 7th Vehicle from GL. Why are these vehicles in such Bad shape and have very little Mileage!!?? Three vehicles came from NGs and they show a great deal of lack of PMs. With all the training and lack of Action these people have, why could they not take care of equipment they had? I mean simple things like Oiling the Door hinges, hood hindges, up keep of Batteries, just plain PM issues? I am a former Marine and I was in Motor Transport and PMs were part of Inspections. The truck I have purchased only has 8000 miles, and I just cannot believe the Lack of maintenance or attention this truck has had in the last 37 years. I guess it is just another Govt Issue!??? Phil :grd:

beaubeau

Damn, FMJ, !!!They must have pulled it around, because the Exaust is not even Rusty!!?? OH, I Know!! THEY MUST HAVE PUT ALL THE OIL ON THE Exhaust system so it don't rust!!! Hey, I did get 2 sets of tire changing tools, 3 lug wrenches, 2 tire bars and even an Air hose assembly!! At least they kept the Tires UP!! I have 10 Brand new tires!!! Phil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8000 miles may just be on the engine, I'm sure the truck has many more miles on the frame/body than that. As vehicles get older, more time is spent on PM on the newer, more expensive trucks, than the older line vehicles. Plus, we all know how rugged the older M35, M809, M55, etc. series vehicles are. To the depot's way of thinking, who cares if the doors squeak, the paint peels and rust is showing in some parts, as long as the truck does its job and runs/drives/stops, leave it alone.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One answer...weekend warriors. If you thought rental cars were driven hard, what do you think an 18 year old kid does when he gets in one a weekend per month.

Actually, most guard units aren't given the time to work on serious PM on a weekend. We were lucky if we got any time during the annual training. Mission completion is the goal. If I've got troops coming in to camp for the weekend at 1AM, up at 5 for hauling troopies to the range on an all day rotation, out to the range for final pickup after midnight, then a 6 hour drive home on Sunday, I'm not going to put them on wirebrush and touch up paint. I want them safe drivers. The basic daily PM, oil, tranny, lights, fuel, tires, by the book. Rest and food for the rest of the time. The rest of it can wait until the maintenance shop says it needs a repaint.

Yeah, if the hinges squeak, we hit em with oil for "noise discipline"

'course, i also was not a good motivational leader and could not convince these guys to take the initiative if they did have the time. The platoon sergeant before me rented a big screen tv in the back of the M105 up against the back door of the GP medium.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks