• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M818 w/w

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won an M818 w/w last week. They went very reasonable. Has an arctic kit with the in-cab insulation panels and multifuel heater. I figure the road tires will be perfect for the 1700 mile drive to AZ. Description stated 35,000 miles and 1900 hrs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Charles, Should work real nice with one of the M128A2C's. It would be nice to score an M127A2C as well. I'd like to store a couple of my smaller trailers up on it.

Hey Andy, I did'nt decide to bid until the last hour. They looked like they were going to go for a good price and I really enjoy driving them cross country. Every one of those trucks looked very clean and cared for. I think any truck as nice as these would pobably bring $4000 and up at Barstow. It'll probably cost me $1,100 in diesel @ $5.00 a gallon to get it home. Any other mechanical issues are part of the adventure and challenge. I drove my XM816 2000 miles home from Camp Ripley last summer and loved it. No issues. Very hot across Kansas though.

Did you save the pictures? If so, lets see it. Congrats to you as well. Excellent Score! Every one of those trucks looked real nice. I chose mine based on the Arctic Kit and Road Tires. Are you going to drive it home?

By the way, I would think that a 1969 should be an XM. They were all listed as 1969's, Hmmm...

M818s

Kevin,
My drive home is right around 500 miles so not as far as you. I bid in the last hour also and was suprised how low they went for being winch trucks. Mine was OD in color with a hardtop with the heater core located inside the cab- I've never seen one like that before. I'll post some pictures of the trip back in 2-3 weeks when the EUC clears. I'm like you I actually look forward to prepping the truck and the long drive home.
Andy

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M818s

I really thought about bidding on those in ND but the drive to Arkansas scared be off, good luck on the drive home, the trucks looked great!
James G.

alphadeltaromeo

Desert Deuce said:
I've probably got 20 letters now to return 100's of BDU's, Gore-Tex Parkas, and all sorts of stuff. It took about a year for the letters to start coming after they changed the clasification. I know many others here are gettig letters as well.

Oh well, I guess we're just along for the ride and the view.
My 2 cents...this is just plain lame. You have to return pants, etc? The time and effort to even ask for you to do that is just silly and a complete waste. Each day I realize the lack of common sense is growing thicker and thicker...sheesh.

Andy

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah yes Andy, the green one, very nice! I think it was the first to close. And yes, the core was in cab, I'll be interested to get the scoop on that. 500 miles should be a nice drive. That's about how far I usually get in 1 (long) day. At 1700 and some change, I'll be shooting for a 3 to 4 day trip.

Hey RC, I know what ya mean, I did a map quest and said what the heck. When I bought the wrecker in MN, I had a local diesel shop go to the base and tow it to their shop. I sent filters to them and had the oil changed.They installed 4 new batteries as well. They checked the brakes, all fluids, electrics and changed an air line. When I got up to little falls it was ready to drive home. In the interest of time and safety, the $1000 spent was well worth it. Hauling the truck would have cost about $4000. Food, lodging and fuel cost me about another $1,100 for the 2000 mile trip.

I may do the same with this truck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DD:
That is the way to go, any pre flight prep is a help. I am glad I didn't plan on picking up my M543A2 on the East cost though, when I got to see it the military had drained every fluid, cost me $900 plus so far filling her back up. But if GL is talking ending truck sales I am going to have to do something soon, I am going to have a an 818 WW!!!!!
James G.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great price and great score please document the pick up and trip for us OD junkies. Unles that was a unit paintjob all the National Guard tractors got depot level rebuilds and came out looking like that.

area52

M818

Hey Kevin,

I know its probably out of your way, but you are welcome to stop by my place on the long drive back. Or if you have any problems, give me a call and I can help ya out.

Good luck and nice truck.

Stan45

RE: M818

I scored 7988, I think its the one on the right side on your second picture. Since its only 50 miles to my place I couldn't resist. If you guys need any help retrieving yours let me know, My father in Law has a farm nearby for storage and the ND-MVCA has 6 menbers all within 1 hour from Devils Lake, we can assist in any way. BTW when you're up this stop on by always like meeting a fellow SS Member. STAN

jwaller

RE: M818

any chance you can get some pics of the heater setup for me. how and where the pump is mounted and such? I have this kit for a deuce that I'm going to install and any and all info will help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks