• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new m880 owner questions

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
nopicsWelcome to the M880 sub-set of OD illness. Most engine parts and pieces are still at your local NAPA. manuals are in the resources section.

N1265

318 CID
727 trans
NP 203 case
Dana 44 front
Dana 60 rear
4:10 gears
Full Time 4WD
MANUAL STEERING BOX ( but easy to convert to PS )
average gas millage is 10 MPG ( with cargo cover up )
will cruse 55-60 MPH all day long with no problems , any speed above that use a tail wind

Biggest problem is usually electrical

Biggest PIA is keeping the front wheel bearings greased ( have to pull front tires )

Keep in mind that these truck came with 16.5 in. tires, I converted my rims and tires over to 16's because of availibity when on the road ( I take road trips with mine ) and the price on the 16.5 is getting to be up there. just about any junk yard cost to cost has dodge or ford 8 lug rims with 16's on them ( the older ford rims are the same )

Parts for these things are cheep, but the guy at the parts store has no clue what an M880 is, Therefore simply tell him you need parts for a 1977 Dodge W-200 with a 318 Auto and you will get the right parts.

These are very good trucks, ( once you get the electrical gremlins out ) but it's as plain as it gets, No luxuries except for :

1 ) hard top
2 ) 3 speed electric windshield wipers
3 ) power brakes
4 ) big bench seat
5 ) 3 speed blower motor
6 ) dimmer switch for instrument lites
7 ) door locks ( my personal favorite ) :-D

Good luck and keep us posted

N1265

I think Alfa-Haven is asking around 5 to 6k for theirs. I am not sure if they actually get this but they do look pretty good, have hummer tires and most have low miles and the PS conversion .

A lot really depends on how much rust and dents they have, but most of the ones I have seen around here are worth about 1 to 2k in my opinion....

if you go to their web site they have really good pictures of what they are selling, it may give you a better idea.

Here is a picture of my truck when I bought it in 2005. I paid $2,400 for it from a private seller.

Here is also a picture of how it is today, I think I have around $4,500 into it. I have done all the work myself.

Attachments

appellandscaping

wow n1265 that is a clean truck i have mine stripped down to the frame now im getting the trans rebuilt and a lift and all that when i bought the 2 77's i had little idea what they looked like but now that i have them im taking the 2wd body and putting it on the 4wd ill have it done in a month ill get pics

N1265

Thanks, I did not do a frame off restoration on this truck because I do use it AS a truck. It also serves as my backup vehicle and seen every day action a couple of months ago when the trans in my Explorer went out.

If you go to the old SS site and look in the photo albums you will see some pictures of the restoration. it is under " Nicks 77" toward the bottom of the page.

How big a lift you putting on ? plan on sticking with the 318 ? I look forward to the pictures when you get them...