• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member and new to CUCV's

1009er

I am buying my first M1009 next week. I've grown up in and around trucks but never diesels. Also never military trucks. I've done some research but what are some things to look for? The M1009 I'm buying is from a guy I work with. he used to be a diesel mechanic and is very meticulous about his work. He's put a new front axle in it and new batteries. he did the body work and painted it. It looks to be in good shape and says it runs great. Any common hidden problems to be on the look out for?

1009er

also talking to my brother in law he's buying a 1 ton dually that has a low mileage 6.2l with banks sidewinder. He told me he'd sell me the motor tranny and turbo cheaper than I could find a used motor for in case I ever need anything. I'll be buying it from him regardless just to have the spare parts. ( I like being prepared.) my question is, is anyone running a sidewinder on theirs? are they worth it? Will it do more damage in the long run?

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! You should read through some of the threads... more information on here than you could imagine. if you get a good deal and its something you want just go for it.. there is always something you need to tinker with and fix... don't get scared off by simple stuff... read the manuals before you go look at it. just a suggestion... you don't want to go look at it asking newbie questions.... he will take advantage of you just my 2cents. Good Luck

Ordak

On a 30 year old truck you will always have something to tinker with as maa45069 pointed out. I am no expert but I would look for signs of abuse. I looked at a few m1009s before buying mine and 2 of them I walked away from because they looked like they went through the wringer twice. Check for any hack job modifications or fixes, these can be indications of poor maintenance. I should of seen all the self tappers in mine. I know the experts here can give you specific things to check.

NovacaineFix

Welcome to the tribe.

Don't let the Diesel part scare you.
IMHO, it is as good as a 350 that you would in any other truck, if not better. I like (love) 350 chevy's, but how many can still turn around after over 200K miles without a rebuild.

Like the others have said, it is a 30+ year old truck, no matter how meticulous it was maintained, it will need something. There is plenty of info located here on the site, always recommend to download the TM's HERE.

Probably the most common things are (they sound like a lot but in reality are not)
These are not in order of importance, but just some off the top of my head.

1 - Doghead mod for starter relay failure (under dash). Relay is not strong enough and tends to stick causing starter to run on
2 - Headlight fuse relay mod (circuit is already overloaded and is the easiest to add more things to it)
3 - Vacuum line for tranny (causes tranny not to shift correctly or not at all, possible modulator)
4 - The famous Death Wobble - this could be a lot of different things from shocks, kingpins, suspensions issues and so on, but comes up regularly.
5 - Charging/Battery issues - Issues arise from bad batteries to 1 or both alternators not charging correctly
6 - Leaky fuel filters - if you have the stock style Stanadyne filter base, they tend to leak. Spin on filter replacements are a common solution, but there are stock replacements and fixes out there.
7 - Speedometer issues - these are typically old gages that are failing, but sometime other issues come up
8 - 12 volt conversions - Usually when someone did not understand the 24/12 volt hybrid system, they converted ot to a regular 12 volt system, or many of the other stock systems failed and they were removed. Electrical demons can come from conversions
9 - Glow plugs/Glow plug cards/glow plug relay/glow plug resistors - these are all prone to some failure at one point, at least every other week it seems that someone is posting something about one or all of these.
10 - IP pumps - as these trucks get older the IP pumps are nearing their life expectancy and can cause some hard to diagnose problems from time to time. You can get these rebuilt, they're not cheap, but they run very well after dialed in. Life expectancy as per TM is about 100,000 miles.

There is always more, but these seem to be the most common ones I see. Others I'm sure will chime in as well

Despite all these that I listed and others will list, I still love my 1009 and would buy another if I had room.

1009er

I appreciate it guys. One thing I have on my side is I've talked to him about the truck since he bought it earlier this year. Not as being interested it but just talking about it in general and I know what he has done to it and how much he's spent. And he's a guy with good morals and I see him every day being that he is my partner on shift so I doubt he'll screw me over. I've had plenty of old Chevy's and know what to expect on them but new to the diesel world. Something I've always wanted to dig into just never actually did it. I prefer to learn by throwing myself into fire. This will be my DD and gonna have to learn to fix the diesel issues quickly. I know of a few issues I'll have to fix right away but its more of just preferences not actual issues such as taking the 6" lift off, changing wheels and tires, putting the right grill in, adding the tow rings, building a center console. But according to him everything runs and drives great.

1009er

I haven't picked it up yet but these are some pictures of it. I'll get more info on it tonight when I get to work

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1009er

Will be going to look at it on Friday or Saturday. Don't have the thing yet and I can already tell it will become an obsession. Ive been looking all over this forum and holy #### it gets in depth. I've never seen a forum with so much material and know how. This site is awesome. It seems like its highly unlikely to have a problem that someone on here hasn't had or doesn't have an idea how to fix it. I'm excited to dig in to this project and get to know y'all. I am a maintenance guy at a steel mill that produces all grades of plate steel (including AR 500) so I may be of some assistance to some folks out there.

ManUpMan

I just bought one as well! Drove it from TN to IL. I'm looking for someone with a M1008 who wants to swap my front bucket seats for their front bench seat. Any thoughts how to get the word out?

Last edited: