• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Iowa

EscapingReality

I found this site about a week ago, and have really enjoyed reading up on some of the posts. Especially those concerning a deuce and a half, or trailer conversions. I'm interested in buying a truck and trailer, and luckily was introduced to a great guy here in Iowa that does lots of modifications, and has a LOT of inventory.

I'm looking for opinions on what approach to take, for the uses I would have. Here goes:
We are looking for some land up North, mainly in WI and MI, but also considering upper New England states. Want to be able to get across fairly undeveloped land, and not get stranded. Not looking to go trail riding, or anything like that. A MV just looks like a great way to get out of town, carry the things we want, and be able to get off road if needed. I've got decades of experience building my own buildings, doing most of the work myself. Am thinking of building an A frame on the land, but might build out a fairly large trailer that can be parked, and set up for use for as long as it was needed.

Really like the look and function of overland rigs. I'm a very handy guy with lots of tools, but do not weld. That is where the fabrication guy here comes in to play. I want to work with him to get the plan developed, and then source everything, and buy as much of it as possible from him.

Right now, I'm debating two approaches. The first is to build the rig on the deuce, nothing particularly unusual...over the top of the cab, storage up top, solar up top, lots of storage boxes down low, and living quarters. Probably tow a smaller trailer for extra supplies and materials. The second approach is to build out the living quarters on the trailer, and pull it behind the deuce. Possibly even set up as a tractor with a bit of storage. What I like about option 2 is that we could sell it down the road if we build an A frame, if we didn't need it anymore. I'd also like to do some traveling with my wife and dog. I'm concerned with what size trailer we could legally tow around the US, and what is enough size, but not too much.

The guy I'm going to work with does a lot of bobbed trucks. I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping the 6x6, but doing singles on the axles. Especially if we build an overland style rig on the deuce.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

PS: I served in Army intel for 4 years, then a 2 year stint as an Army reserve battalion reenlistment NCO. Spent a year in a 5 ton TIFF truck at Camp Humpreys, did the Defense Language Institute, taught a SERE course at Ft Lewis. Finished up at Ft Huachucha, where my first son was born. Had a lot of fun.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found this site about a week ago, and have really enjoyed reading up on some of the posts. Especially those concerning a deuce and a half, or trailer conversions. I'm interested in buying a truck and trailer, and luckily was introduced to a great guy here in Iowa that does lots of modifications, and has a LOT of inventory.

I'm looking for opinions on what approach to take, for the uses I would have. Here goes:
We are looking for some land up North, mainly in WI and MI, but also considering upper New England states. Want to be able to get across fairly undeveloped land, and not get stranded. Not looking to go trail riding, or anything like that. A MV just looks like a great way to get out of town, carry the things we want, and be able to get off road if needed. I've got decades of experience building my own buildings, doing most of the work myself. Am thinking of building an A frame on the land, but might build out a fairly large trailer that can be parked, and set up for use for as long as it was needed.

Really like the look and function of overland rigs. I'm a very handy guy with lots of tools, but do not weld. That is where the fabrication guy here comes in to play. I want to work with him to get the plan developed, and then source everything, and buy as much of it as possible from him.

Right now, I'm debating two approaches. The first is to build the rig on the deuce, nothing particularly unusual...over the top of the cab, storage up top, solar up top, lots of storage boxes down low, and living quarters. Probably tow a smaller trailer for extra supplies and materials. The second approach is to build out the living quarters on the trailer, and pull it behind the deuce. Possibly even set up as a tractor with a bit of storage. What I like about option 2 is that we could sell it down the road if we build an A frame, if we didn't need it anymore. I'd also like to do some traveling with my wife and dog. I'm concerned with what size trailer we could legally tow around the US, and what is enough size, but not too much.

The guy I'm going to work with does a lot of bobbed trucks. I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping the 6x6, but doing singles on the axles. Especially if we build an overland style rig on the deuce.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

PS: I served in Army intel for 4 years, then a 2 year stint as an Army reserve battalion reenlistment NCO. Spent a year in a 5 ton TIFF truck at Camp Humpreys, did the Defense Language Institute, taught a SERE course at Ft Lewis. Finished up at Ft Huachucha, where my first son was born. Had a lot of fun.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Wow. From reading your post, there are lots of choices. Finding something like a S141 Communications Shelter or other similar "box" and chaining or cabling it to the bed of a Deuce (2 1/2 Ton) or a 5-Ton would require no welding. You mention a wife and a dog and three could sleep comfortably if you build out a sleep space and a place to store your clothes and supplies. Cooking is possible, but you might be happier outside frying bacon and eggs if it isn't Winter.

The 5-Ton is taller and the parts are heavier when it is time to work on the vehicle.

With either truck, a trailer behind on rough ground you will need weight on the truck to get traction.
The heavier the trailer - the more likely you will be unhappy (or stuck).

Long years ago - back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth - a company that I worked for used M37's to haul linemen and construction gangs across the swamps or through the woods. From the parking lot to the site, those vehicles moved the guys "in the dry" and/or inside when it was cold. The original canvas tops were great, but eventually the tree limbs killed them off... So, we built wooden structure then clad that structure with aluminum - somewhat like a camper top.

You mention wood working skills. That could let you create a basic overland habitat yourself. 2x2's for the sides and top. A regular house door on the back would secure the back end. Aluminum sheeting over plywood would build a nice enclosure. Windows would make the wife happy. Curtains would make it look more "homey" as well. There are tons of things you could do like a pass-through from the cab to the box and a over the cab storage area. Or not...

Another idea might be for you to buy an already built something. I recently spotted a M109a3 in the Classifieds Section here on Steel Soldiers. I can't speak to the money - but it isn't outrageous. And this one is already built and ready to go camping. It isn't mine. It isn't anybody I know, but it is worth a look.

Reactions: 98G

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have and interesting plan and one that is shared by many! I have a couple comments concerning your request for thoughts. First if your going to be doing some traveling with this rig I would seriously consider a 5 ton 939 series over a Deuce, there is nothing wrong with a Deuce but they are extremely noisy inside while underway and the trucks are underpowered if your going to be traveling on public roads, meaning SLOW. Now load it up or hook a trailer behind it and you have doubled that issue, meaning really SLOW! The 5 ton will allow you to cruise at 55 to 60 mph all day with very little comfort issues, they are quiet inside and the creature comforts are night and day better than the Deuce. The automatic transmission is very reliable on the 5 ton and it allows anybody the opportunity to drive it (Yes some people dont know how to shift)! The off road capabilities are about the same between the two trucks.
As for the shelter as opposed to building one I would look hard for an S280 comm shelter in good shape, they are built very well have lots of room and in the bed of a 5 ton you have a little porch with the last few feet of the bed to pull up a chair. The 5 ton is not a speed demon by any means but its substantially better than the Deuce with and without the trailer. I have been seeing very nice M925 trucks going for between 10 and 15K ready to go!
Just my thoughts and experiences owning both trucks. Good luck!

EscapingReality

Welcome to the Outfit!

Wow. From reading your post, there are lots of choices. Finding something like a S141 Communications Shelter or other similar "box" and chaining or cabling it to the bed of a Deuce (2 1/2 Ton) or a 5-Ton would require no welding. You mention a wife and a dog and three could sleep comfortably if you build out a sleep space and a place to store your clothes and supplies. Cooking is possible, but you might be happier outside frying bacon and eggs if it isn't Winter.

The 5-Ton is taller and the parts are heavier when it is time to work on the vehicle.

With either truck, a trailer behind on rough ground you will need weight on the truck to get traction.
The heavier the trailer - the more likely you will be unhappy (or stuck).

Long years ago - back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth - a company that I worked for used M37's to haul linemen and construction gangs across the swamps or through the woods. From the parking lot to the site, those vehicles moved the guys "in the dry" and/or inside when it was cold. The original canvas tops were great, but eventually the tree limbs killed them off... So, we built wooden structure then clad that structure with aluminum - somewhat like a camper top.

You mention wood working skills. That could let you create a basic overland habitat yourself. 2x2's for the sides and top. A regular house door on the back would secure the back end. Aluminum sheeting over plywood would build a nice enclosure. Windows would make the wife happy. Curtains would make it look more "homey" as well. There are tons of things you could do like a pass-through from the cab to the box and a over the cab storage area. Or not...

Another idea might be for you to buy an already built something. I recently spotted a M109a3 in the Classifieds Section here on Steel Soldiers. I can't speak to the money - but it isn't outrageous. And this one is already built and ready to go camping. It isn't mine. It isn't anybody I know, but it is worth a look.

Hey, thanks for the great suggestions! I had not thought of the truck needing extra weight, and the trailer getting stuck. That is good info to have, and consider. Also, that unit you linked...it is a pretty fair price for what is there. I suppose, I'd tend to prefer to build my own shelter portion, because I enjoy building. I've bought a lot of old properties over the years, and spent many, many years fixing other peoples mistakes, or things that just got covered up and never fixed. No reflection on the unit you posted...it look nicely done.

EscapingReality

Welcome Brother! Did a SERE course in Ft. Lewis, but maybe before your time? 1980. I could live there, real easy.
I loved Fort Lewis. I left there before you did the SERE course. Got orders for Korea, literally a few hours after we signed the mortgage papers on a house in Tacoma. I'd still be there if it wasn't for the Korea adventure!

EscapingReality

You have and interesting plan and one that is shared by many! I have a couple comments concerning your request for thoughts. First if your going to be doing some traveling with this rig I would seriously consider a 5 ton 939 series over a Deuce, there is nothing wrong with a Deuce but they are extremely noisy inside while underway and the trucks are underpowered if your going to be traveling on public roads, meaning SLOW. Now load it up or hook a trailer behind it and you have doubled that issue, meaning really SLOW! The 5 ton will allow you to cruise at 55 to 60 mph all day with very little comfort issues, they are quiet inside and the creature comforts are night and day better than the Deuce. The automatic transmission is very reliable on the 5 ton and it allows anybody the opportunity to drive it (Yes some people dont know how to shift)! The off road capabilities are about the same between the two trucks.
As for the shelter as opposed to building one I would look hard for an S280 comm shelter in good shape, they are built very well have lots of room and in the bed of a 5 ton you have a little porch with the last few feet of the bed to pull up a chair. The 5 ton is not a speed demon by any means but its substantially better than the Deuce with and without the trailer. I have been seeing very nice M925 trucks going for between 10 and 15K ready to go!
Just my thoughts and experiences owning both trucks. Good luck!
That is good info. I would prefer an automatic, and the noise issue would also be preferable for the 5 ton. How much penalty would there be for MPG?

I do like those communication vans, and they are well built. There is a lot there to work with. I also really like the look of the LMTV, but wonder if the extra level of maintenance would be a significant challenge? Thanks for your comments!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks