• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Michigan

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone. New member from MI. I joined because I may be (fingers crossed) the proud owner of a M38A1 in a few days and this website was invaluable when I started educating myself on the ins and outs of Willys jeeps to make sure I know what to look for.
Welcome from North Carolina!

When you get your "new to you" truck, be sure to upload some pix.
Everybody here will be pretty darn excited to see your new green iron!

SLick762

Welcome from North Carolina!

When you get your "new to you" truck, be sure to upload some pix.
Everybody here will be pretty darn excited to see your new green iron!
Thanks.
I went and looked at it today, the auction is tomorrow.
I'm a little hesitant. I expected it to need a lot of work but the interior was covered in diy bed liner and that kinda worries me. I've heard some horror stories about that stuff taking metal with it when you try to remove it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was hoping some of the guys would jump in and comment...

The spray on bed liner is generally used to hid a myriad of sins. Who knows, it could have been rusty, or it could be that the city decided that it was safer than painted metal - and maybe nothing is wrong.

Truck looks to be in pretty good shape though.

If you are going to build a show truck, the bed liner could be a show stopper. On the other hand, that isn't a factory rollbar and it doesn't look like a factory bumper either. If that baby would fire up and run, it could be more fun than you might imagine.

Wish I could be more help.

18operator

Welcome from Ohio! Nice looking machine, good luck on the auction. We have a '56 CJ-6 that the tub was bedlined. We did find a few hidden surprises but we knew what we were getting into before we got it.

18operator

If the metal is clean underneath, it'll scrape off with a bit of effort. A heat gun will soften it up a bit depending on the quality of the bedliner. If it's rusty rotten, expect to take the rust and rot off as you scrape the bedliner.

SLick762

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Unfortunately the bidding went higher than I was willing to go. I don't have the expertise to do body and paint work and 2 different restoration shops quoted me around 6-7k for sandblasting and repainting. Keeping that in mind, a winning bid of 7500 made total of 15k before I even touch anything mechanical made me pass. Especially when I'm seeing ads for M38A1s in better shape for around the same amount.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Sorry that your potential purchase didn't work out. If you have your heart set on an M38, keep searching, they are out there. Perhaps someone here can help point you in the right direction. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks