• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from NEPA

CUCVlooseNUT

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new member here. My name's Robert. I've been dealing with CUCV's for about 10 years now as the master mechanic for a local fire company. The Department was issued a M1008, and a M1009. Thats when I realized how these trucks were built. They take so much abuse, and keep coming back for more. That's iron to respect.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard. This truly is a great resource for information and friendship.

CUCVlooseNUT

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am Currently watching about 20 CUCV's on GL. It has been a long time desire to own one or a few of these trucks. As I've never bought anything from GL, What should I know or have ready before bidding? What kind of a hassles has anyone been through to get a title issued?:roll:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what PA is like for the titles, but bidding on GL is kind of fun. If at all possible preview the items you are looking at before bidding. Some GL sites do a great job of leaving things out of the pictures and descriptions. I always have a maximum price in mind before hand, and if it goes above what I want to pay, I stop. You can get caught up pretty easily if you are going to bid at the end of the auction and someone comes along and trumps your bid. From what you said in your initial post, you seem to know these vehicles pretty good, so you should have a handle on what you would be willing to pay for one and the condition it's in.

CUCVlooseNUT

yea, I pretty much know the general ins-&-outs of the trucks and what to look for as in problem areas, but just curious about what kind of experience to expect with GL...

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are lucky enough to win...Hurry up and wait!!!

Once you win one you'll need to fill out an EUC (End Use Certificate) and have it submitted to the government for approval. For the first time EUC they say it can take anywhere up to 45 days. My first one took about 16 or 17 days from the time I submitted it till it got approved. From there you need to go get your truck, make the appointment and go get it. If you know it's in good condition, drive it home. Unknown, tow it or have it shipped.

Use the search feature at the top of your screen and search for the GL locations you're looking at, there should be someone posting experiences from just about every location they have, so you can get an idea of the people you'll be dealing with. Some locations are more friendly than others. I know from experience that Chambersburg, PA is a great location to get things from. Matt out there is a top notch guy and will help out if he can. I've got stuff from Mechanicsburg too, but to me they seemed a bit snotty to deal with, Like I was bothering them or something. maybe I just caught them at a bad time though. I hope this helps. Like I said, use the search feature and you can come up with all kinds of information.

bigelk50

Welcome to the site! I see about three of the M1009's running around town where I live. Its neet to see guys using them as daily drivers.

ABN173

ABN173, that M1009 is sweet... Thanks for the insight guys, I do appreciate it.
I liked it too, unfortunately it was hit in an http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/29528-accident.html (see thread/link for pics) so I decided to not to risk driving it across the US when I moved from FT Benning, GA to FT Lewis, WA. The insurance paid for the repairs but 3000 miles is a long way to travel especially if your not sure the truck is 100% fixed. I like the M1008 too though, its actually in better shape overall than the M1009 (even though I prefer the blazer style)

mikes47jeep

welcome to SS robert

best of luck on your GL bidding.

by the way, I'm just up the road from you, I'm out by Elk Mountian ski resort

regards

Mike

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks