• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Portland OR area. HI!

HavocStyles

Hi all,

I'm from Portland area (McMinnville) and was thinking of picking up a M923 Pierce County area. And would love to here your guys opinions if I do recover it and just driving it back down to Oregon.

Maybe some locals can chime in or correct me if I'm wrong on some questions, while doing some research via this forum on MV ownership specifically M923 I learned the OR DMV considers anything over GVW of 26K CDL? And the M923 is 21,600 max so that shouldn't be a problem correct? Any other tips, tricks, and knowledge would be great. I would like to keep the info here instead of a PM so others can see.

I know how some feel about GL and you should always do a scheduled preview but my time is very limited at the moment, network engineer by day working on a large project. Would it be wise to have someone from WA area take a look at it first, I would also be willing to pay for their time to do so.

Any other thoughts would be great. If this goes through I look forward to meeting up with guys and hanging out and seeing more of Oregon's back county in style.

Cheers, :mrgreen:
Eric

Last edited:

BFGOrdnance

Hello,

I'm also fairly new to this board but WELCOME! I purchased 2 M923's from Ft. Lewis a little over a year ago. We just did a quick inspection on base and then drove them home (near Albany, Oregon). We purchased temporary trip permits from the DMV for the drive. Both of our M923's are 26,100. I have seen alot of posts saying 21,600, .... I always thought that was just a typo. All my legal documents on both list it as 26,100. Maybe the typo was on my paperwork?!? In any event, we registered ours as special interest vehicles. Saved some serious buck in terms of registration and insurance. We are a bit limited in use, but you are still allowed to drive for maintenance and we just have a lot of "small club" meetings haha.

In Oregon and Washington a CDL is needed only for commercial use vehicles (another reason we registered them as special interest).

As for checking them out... it has been in my experience that most are in GREAT condition. Especially if they run in the video. My two had 2400 miles and 36,000 miles on them and are in RIDICULOUSLY good condition. The 2400 mile one still had paint on the engine manifold and rubber fingers on the tires. My business partner and I actually only meant to buy 1 (and share it), but after accidentally getting two, we both love them so much we can't part with one.

Good luck! If you get one, let me know... we plan on having a few "special interest" camping trips this year!

Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks