• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Utah

Old Geezer

Hi

I came across this site while searching for information on an MEP-017 5kw genset I just purchased.

I'm a Navy (1971-1973) and Army (1983-89) vet. I worked as a Communications Technician in the Navy, and as an Ordnance Officer in the Army. Since then I've worked for the Army and the Air Force as a civilian.

I'm married (just celebrated 46 years), and have 6 kids and 12 grandkids.

I enjoy tinkering in my shop, especially working on old garden tractors--I have a lathe, mill, surface grinder, and assorted welders, etc.

Hoping to be able to ad to the group.

Regards,

Old Geezer

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi

I came across this site while searching for information on an MEP-017 5kw genset I just purchased.

I'm a Navy (1971-1973) and Army (1983-89) vet. I worked as a Communications Technician in the Navy, and as an Ordnance Officer in the Army. Since then I've worked for the Army and the Air Force as a civilian.

I'm married (just celebrated 46 years), and have 6 kids and 12 grandkids.

I enjoy tinkering in my shop, especially working on old garden tractors--I have a lathe, mill, surface grinder, and assorted welders, etc.

Hoping to be able to ad to the group.

Regards,

Old Geezer
Welcome to the Outfit you @Old Geezer ! :cool:
Hoping that you found the TM section for Technical Manuals.

Looking forward to you posting a few pictures of your newly acquired Green Machine too.

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have a bunch of toys already...

Old Geezer

Looking forward to you posting a few pictures of your newly acquired Green Machine too.

I found the manual section, but not sure how to post to it, know how to find specific manuals. I have several manuals for the MEP 017 generator, though I suspect you already have them.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found the manual section, but not sure how to post to it, know how to find specific manuals. I have several manuals for the MEP 017 generator, though I suspect you already have them.
To avoid duplicates or other TM's that are not released for public consumption, there is an upload spot. A couple of the Admins monitor that thread. One of our guys - @Guyfang - is a regular contributor to that effort.

Old Geezer

To avoid duplicates or other TM's that are not released for public consumption, there is an upload spot. A couple of the Admins monitor that thread. One of our guys - @Guyfang - is a regular contributor to that effort.

Thanks! I'll get in touch with him.

OG

Old Geezer

Well, I'll attempt to post some pictures here. Every forum is different, but hopefully I can figure it out.

I only paid $120 for the generator, and it only has 105 hours on a working meter, but, it was left out side, and it's a little rough. It starts right up though--even with the pull rope in freezing weather. No smoke, no odd noises, seems to hold steady on voltage and herz, though I haven' hooked a load to it, yet.

I'm trying to find a commercial equivalent for the aircleaner or a new filter housing that uses common filters. Also need to fix the fuel adapter so it will lock snugly into the mouth of the 5 gallon Jerry can. Has anyone else figured a way to do this?

Regards,

OG

Attachments

Old Geezer

Well, I'll attempt to post some pictures here. Every forum is different, but hopefully I can figure it out.

I only paid $120 for the generator, and it only has 105 hours on a working meter, but, it was left out side, and it's a little rough. It starts right up though--even with the pull rope in freezing weather. No smoke, no odd noises, seems to hold steady on voltage and herz, though I haven' hooked a load to it, yet.

I'm trying to find a commercial equivalent for the aircleaner or a new filter housing that uses common filters. Also need to fix the fuel adapter so it will lock snugly into the mouth of the 5 gallon Jerry can. Has anyone else figured a way to do this?

Regards,

OG
A couple other things that come to mind..

How long does 5 gals of fuel last running 50% load?
Has anyone been able to convert one of these to solid state ignition? (I realize it uses a magneto and it may not be feasible).
Do they run okay on unleaded gas, or do you need to put something in your fuel?

Thanks again,

OG

Guyfang

Staff member

Take a look through the TM forum, and see if the is something missing- Check the TM date and how many changes. Thanks partner!!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Regards,

OG
If this genset ends up running well for $120, you scored. [thumbzup]

Old Geezer

Hello and welcome from southeast Indiana.
I had a chance to visit Jasper Indiana while I was in the army. Jasper engines and transmissions there had some unique cleaning processes we were interested in using as well. One of them with a molten salt system. They put engine blocks heads Etc in this molten salt bath to clean them. It consumed all the oil grease and gaskets Etc. Pretty interesting.

That was a nice area. I remember eating at a German restaurant there as well, seeing as I have German ancestry it was nice to get in touch with my roots as it were.

OG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks