• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member here in Hawaii, soon to be back on the mainland

lylefk

Aloha,

Thought I'd introduce myself briefly. I'm a full time landscape, wildlife and underwater photographer here on Maui, and my wife is a full time artist as well. We have a daughter graduating high school in a couple of years, and the plan is to build and live in a m1083 (or m1085 or m1096 if I can find one) full time once that happens. Travel around the US (including AK) and Canada and probably into Mexico, off-grid boondocking as much as possible.

I've got the habitat pretty well planned out (20' or 22' composite box) and am here to read, watch and learn as much as I can about the m1083/1085 as possible. Plan is to get one from an auction and do as much as possible ourselves. I'm confident I can do nearly everything, except perhaps (and hopefully avoided) internal engine work. I don't have any experience with diesels or air systems, so I've got my homework ahead of me there. I used to do high end custom car audio for a living, have done a frame on restore, along with a couple engine swaps. Not too worried about it, I'm handy and I've got the time to learn and we'll work out way through it learning as we go. Going to learn to weld as well for this project, seems like a good skill to have.

That said, if anyone wants to point me to good places to learn (Youtube, TM's, articles, threads, etc) I'd be appreciative! I've discovered a few good ones but I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface. Any tips for auction success (what to watch for, preferred locations for better condition units, stuff like that) would also be appreciated! I'm hoping to score the best condition one I can (versus one with more unknowns). I've learned that a good base to start with is always worth the extra cost. If anyone happens to have some sort of checklist similar to what one of these resellers would use when refurbishing that would be really helpful to look over too! I've probably spent 100 hours reading and watching so far just on these vehicles, with many hundreds more ahead of me I'm sure.

Thanks so much for this community, I'm a long time forum user for various interests and look forward to lurking and learning from you all. At some point I'm sure I'll have questions but I'll learn as much as I can beforehand.

Mahalo, have a good one!

Oh and feel free to ask any photography or Hawaii travel questions, I like to try and give back with my knowledge where it's applicable. Happy to help!

Lyle

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gov planet often auctions fmtvs in Hawaii starting at 1500 bucks! The final sales price ends up being dirt cheap as well! Shipping to San Diego is about $5,000-6,000 I think. I forget the name of the shipper but they specialize in military equipment and frequently shipped from that base where their auctioned in Hawaii to San Diego harbor, or another west coast harbor.

lylefk

Gov planet often auctions fmtvs in Hawaii starting at 1500 bucks! The final sales price ends up being dirt cheap as well! Shipping to San Diego is about $5,000-6,000 I think. I forget the name of the shipper but they specialize in military equipment and frequently shipped from that base where their auctioned in Hawaii to San Diego harbor, or another west coast harbor.
I've noticed! It's certainly tempting, would be really cool to get a 2 year head start...I could have the truck perfect and ready for the habitat install on the mainland. I'm guessing they'll have some bad rust issues though, and I also have nowhere to put a big ol' truck here in the meantime. Also, shipping parts as needed would be quite a bit more to here. I wonder how much it would be to get it from Oahu to Maui, guessing $1500 or so. Still super cheap, and it HAS crossed my mind...problems be damned!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Aloha,

Thought I'd introduce myself briefly. I'm a full time landscape, wildlife and underwater photographer here on Maui, and my wife is a full time artist as well. We have a daughter graduating high school in a couple of years, and the plan is to build and live in a m1083 (or m1085 or m1096 if I can find one) full time once that happens. Travel around the US (including AK) and Canada and probably into Mexico, off-grid boondocking as much as possible.

I've got the habitat pretty well planned out (20' or 22' composite box) and am here to read, watch and learn as much as I can about the m1083/1085 as possible. Plan is to get one from an auction and do as much as possible ourselves. I'm confident I can do nearly everything, except perhaps (and hopefully avoided) internal engine work. I don't have any experience with diesels or air systems, so I've got my homework ahead of me there. I used to do high end custom car audio for a living, have done a frame on restore, along with a couple engine swaps. Not too worried about it, I'm handy and I've got the time to learn and we'll work out way through it learning as we go. Going to learn to weld as well for this project, seems like a good skill to have.

That said, if anyone wants to point me to good places to learn (Youtube, TM's, articles, threads, etc) I'd be appreciative! I've discovered a few good ones but I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface. Any tips for auction success (what to watch for, preferred locations for better condition units, stuff like that) would also be appreciated! I'm hoping to score the best condition one I can (versus one with more unknowns). I've learned that a good base to start with is always worth the extra cost. If anyone happens to have some sort of checklist similar to what one of these resellers would use when refurbishing that would be really helpful to look over too! I've probably spent 100 hours reading and watching so far just on these vehicles, with many hundreds more ahead of me I'm sure.

Thanks so much for this community, I'm a long time forum user for various interests and look forward to lurking and learning from you all. At some point I'm sure I'll have questions but I'll learn as much as I can beforehand.

Mahalo, have a good one!

Oh and feel free to ask any photography or Hawaii travel questions, I like to try and give back with my knowledge where it's applicable. Happy to help!

Lyle
Welcome to the Outfit!

I don't know for sure, but maybe you could look around on the islands for an auction site there? Getting to know somebody who could let you walk around and see what kind of condition the trucks are in could tell you a lot.

Happy Hunting!

SSgt Bang

I've noticed! It's certainly tempting, would be really cool to get a 2 year head start...I could have the truck perfect and ready for the habitat install on the mainland. I'm guessing they'll have some bad rust issues though, and I also have nowhere to put a big ol' truck here in the meantime. Also, shipping parts as needed would be quite a bit more to here. I wonder how much it would be to get it from Oahu to Maui, guessing $1500 or so. Still super cheap, and it HAS crossed my mind...problems be damned!
Aloha, I had my HMMWV 998 wagon back tarp shipped to me from Long beach. It cost me $1,900 about 3 years ago. It was drive on and drive off. I still have it and it's fun as hell to drive. Check with the shippers at Sand Island, shipping to san diego should be no different. By the way, I had it trucked on a flat bed from Auroa Colorado to Long beach, shipped from long beach to honolulu. I also had my K5 shipped from Kauai to Honolulu for $650 , which was 10 years ago, but should be under $950. Good luck.

DD58

Welcome to the forum!!! That’s a great project!!! Good luck. Can’t wait to see drawings photos anything you got.

So I do have a question. I never left the main land and want to visit Hawaii in the next few years. I don’t do the whole touristy stuff. I like to be off the beaten path. I’ve made a lot of friends over the years that way. So what side or island would be good to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSgt Bang

Welcome to the forum!!! That’s a great project!!! Good luck. Can’t wait to see drawings photos anything you got.

So I do have a question. I never left the main land and want to visit Hawaii in the next few years. I don’t do the whole touristy stuff. I like to be off the beaten path. I’ve made a lot of friends over the years that way. So what side or island would be good to visit.

That is a good question, I was born here in Honolulu (Oahu). We have some off roading, but it is better that you seek out a group, like Scally Wags, a jeep group who also have a couple of Humvee drivers with them. Their on-face book, look them up. The best open area is on the Big Island, but as I have said, I was born here on Oahu, so I am not sure who to contact. But when you do decide to jump over here, Good Luck and Best of wishes.

DD58

That is a good question, I was born here in Honolulu (Oahu). We have some off roading, but it is better that you seek out a group, like Scally Wags, a jeep group who also have a couple of Humvee drivers with them. Their on-face book, look them up. The best open area is on the Big Island, but as I have said, I was born here on Oahu, so I am not sure who to contact. But when you do decide to jump over here, Good Luck and Best of wishes.
I’ll definitely go check them out. Thanks for the advice. My in laws just got back for Oahu they had such an amazing time there. After seeing there pictures idk if I would come back to Connecticut might just find a job and stay hahahahaaha

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

You live on Maui and you still have a house ?

Reason I ask is because the news over here on the mainland shows pretty much the entire island of Maui burned to the ground, with the exception of Oprah and Bill Gates houses, they got saved through some miracle along with some other rich peoples houses, aren't things a bit rough over there right now hoaloha ??

Lot of conspiracy theories floating around ...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome

You live on Maui and you still have a house ?

Reason I ask is because the news over here on the mainland shows pretty much the entire island of Maui burned to the ground, with the exception of Oprah and Bill Gates houses, they got saved through some miracle along with some other rich peoples houses, aren't things a bit rough over there right now hoaloha ??

Lot of conspiracy theories floating around ...
And something possibly to do with the color of blue on rooftops possibly?
Seems like some places were completely wiped out, and others weren't touched.

SSgt Bang

And something possibly to do with the color of blue on rooftops possibly?
Seems like some places were completely wiped out, and others weren't touched.

The entire island was not burned or destroyed. It was only and mostly the west end or where Lahaina is. The bigger end of Maui mid to east side was not touched. Tourist and residents still have a place to go on that side. As I said, it was Lahaina that was decimated on the west side, by the fire and along with the Lahaina Harbor. As for the roof's, the blue roofing material is called monear tile, which is made of clay material, and the blue is a baked material and is fire resistant. Just to let you all know.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The entire island was not burned or destroyed. It was only and mostly the west end or where Lahaina is. The bigger end of Maui mid to east side was not touched. Tourist and residents still have a place to go on that side. As I said, it was Lahaina that was decimated on the west side, by the fire and along with the Lahaina Harbor. As for the roof's, the blue roofing material is called monear tile, which is made of clay material, and the blue is a baked material and is fire resistant. Just to let you all know.
Wow! At that rate then, California should be using that baked clay material to help combat the fires there. I had always thought that the terracotta roofs - keeping embers off the roof - was the reason WHY those roofs were used.

Thanks for the info @SSgt Bang !

SSgt Bang

Wow! At that rate then, California should be using that baked clay material to help combat the fires there. I had always thought that the terracotta roofs - keeping embers off the roof - was the reason WHY those roofs were used.

Thanks for the info @SSgt Bang !
You are welcome. Plus they reflect heat or sunlight, and the roofs maintain a reasonable amount of heat for the evening. That is why you see alot of these terra cotta roofs in hot climates, and YES they resist embers and fire to a point. Our shingle or rolled roofs with tar or pitch that seals our roofs, are highly flammable if you think about it. Yes, they are flame retardant, but the terra cotta is better. Still planning to move here? Did you check Face Book for those jeep guys. Anyways, good luck and safe journey

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You are welcome. Plus they reflect heat or sunlight, and the roofs maintain a reasonable amount of heat for the evening. That is why you see alot of these terra cotta roofs in hot climates, and YES they resist embers and fire to a point. Our shingle or rolled roofs with tar or pitch that seals our roofs, are highly flammable if you think about it. Yes, they are flame retardant, but the terra cotta is better. Still planning to move here? Did you check Face Book for those jeep guys. Anyways, good luck and safe journey
I would like to move out there, but it isn't in my plans.
I think is was @DD58 who was planning to move to Hawaii

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just going to leave this right here and walk away! Lol (things aren't always as they appear)
Move along folks, nothing to see here. Whistle...Screenshot_20230907-212715_1.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks