• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member in Indiana Researching M923A2 Trucks

brasco

Hello Everyone. My name is Don and I am new to this site. I have recently decided that it is time for me to get my mid-life crisis out of the way. My wife did not approve the new Corvette idea or the blonde mistress concept…. However; she is fully supports getting an M923 or similar truck. She even drove me the Indy GL yard yesterday to see some trucks from the street and see what it is all about.

I have been interested in Military Vehicles for some time but finally have the means to buy one. I even picked up a M939 TM years ago in anticipation of the day I finally was able to own one. I plan on buying one this spring if I find one in good condition.

I am looking for help from SS members with experience, specifically in Indiana. Here are a few of my questions:

- Does it really require a CDL to drive a M923 in Indiana if for non-commercial use? How are they being licensed in Indiana?
- What are the selling prices in Indiana for GL auctions and how often do M923A2s come up for auction at the Indy location?
- I have found a couple of dealers in Indiana that sell MVs and I will be looking at their inventory also. Does anyone have experience with Indiana dealers?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting other members online and in person.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don,
The Indy Truck Center is a very active GL site, lots of trucks and trailers go through there. I have recovered 5 trucks and and a trailer out of there. You should have no problem finding the right truck to start your mid life crisis. Mr Bob Rainville is a local Indy guy that assists in recoveries out of Indy, great guy, reasonable rates. He is also a SS member. contact him at 317 710-2240. He knows the trucks and has other resources for parts and maintenance. Should be a no brainer. Make sure you get a matching trailer.
JoeC

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don congrats on your retirement and the wise decision of getting a MV, I went the other route for a while and picked up a new Z-06 and last Spring I had to replace tires, there was a time I could have bought TWO Deuces for the price of 4 tires, your MV is a much wiser route! The 939 series trucks are a very good, solid and reliable vehicle a little more complicated than a Deuce but that is the nature of the beast. As far licensing and titling that is going to be dependent on the state. In ND I own enough land that I have my 925 setup as a farm truck it limits how far from home I can drive the truck but the limit is 200 miles I virtually never go farther than that anyway. Since the truck is a NON-commercial I do not need a class A license to operate it either. NOW BEFORE I GET HAILED WITH BAD EMAILS my history with operating heavy equipment and farm trucks of all sizes in the past I feel very comfortable and SAFE driving the 5 tons. Look into your state laws, become very familiar with the truck before you drive it and just a thought find another SS member locally and just take a ride with them and let them give you some pointers in the trucks operations. Good Luck and be safe Don!
KK

brasco

Joe,

Thanks for the recovery info. I'll be keeping an eye out for new M923A2 or M925A2 lots up for sale. I live pretty close to Indy. Does anyone just drive these trucks off the lot? My hope is to find one in good working condition and simply drive it home. I guess, however, I could get a better deal if I bid on one with a flat tire but it would be a PITA to move/recover.

Don

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 tons are great that is mine in avatar no cdl in SC antique plates one time tag fee 25 bucks no taxes can't haul anything due to tag. Insurance is commercial ( pricey ) . But you will love it . Your wife should have let you have the blonde you would have lost interest sooner or later lol

Last edited:

RodUSMC1962

Welcome to the site and good luck. My buddie here in Indiana owns a 5 ton, no cdl required. One time antique fee paid for life. JC Taylor antique Auto very reasonable. :driver:

brasco

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been online most of the day doing research on these M923s.

I see several M923s have sold in recently in Delaware that were recent rebuilds, the paint looks good. The ones sold recently in Indy did not appear to be re-built. Can anyone tell me what a "rebuild" involves? Do they rebuild the engines too or do they just fix things as needed and paint? It looks like rebuilds are going for twice as much as non-rebuilt trucks. Other than the appearance (rust) what other things should one consider in comparing rebuilt vs. non-rebuilt? Are re-builds less likely to have hidden problems? I know it probably depends on the luck of the draw but I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don,
Lots of rebuilds go through Indy, patience is the game. I brought a 08 rebuild home in Oct, 3100 miles on it. Recovered 2 M931A1 rebuilt in '10, less than 1400 miles. Keep an on on the GL site , when the sale is active swing by the Truck center and look them over. Rebuilt means a lot of things; basically, the truck is refurbished with new tires, paint, interiors and running gear if needed. I've driven all the trucks off the center and down the road. Contact Bob, he is great at getting the truck prepped if needed and moved. He has a M817 I just bought waiting for a warmer day to come home. Lots of trucks coming down the pike in the next year.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks