• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member in Michigan

Dude82

Howdy all! About to ask my first question, so thought I'd do a quick intro.

All started when I was 7 or 8. I used to buy DuPont Registry at the airport to keep me entertained on flights. Hummers instantly caught my attention. And being the early 90s, there were a lot of documentaries coming out about the design and capabilities.

1996 - I'm in Atlanta and it's my 11th birthday downtown. Walk outside and a yellow slant-back with big wheels and tires, 5th tire covered with a cargo net, comes rolling out of an alley and drives right past. First time seeing one in person and if I wasnt already hooked, I am now.

2007 - On my first deployment as a line medic with the 82nd and it's my birthday again. Medics werent allowed to drive and one of my guys in the same truck "Hey Sgt - it's doc's birthday and he really wants to drive a humvee....." "God-dammit Carol, get up here" (this was our platoon sergeant who just finished being a drill sergeant right before deployment - he was a car guy and would claim that it was in reference to Carroll Shelby) So 22nd birthday at ~3 in the morning, I'm driving my first humvee with night vision, a rhino, and a trailer through Baghdad...the one and only time that happened. Once back in the states I would drive the ambulances around for field problems and what not.

2021 - started the hunt when the auctions first happened and could never figure out the plating situation. Finally had a buddy that had done it, was having another kid, and asked if I was interested in buying his. Missed the trend of doing it at 33, but at 35 aint too bad.

Thanks for the site! Tons of good information already. Look forward to using it and contributing back.

Take care!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Howdy all! About to ask my first question, so thought I'd do a quick intro.

All started when I was 7 or 8. I used to buy DuPont Registry at the airport to keep me entertained on flights. Hummers instantly caught my attention. And being the early 90s, there were a lot of documentaries coming out about the design and capabilities.

1996 - I'm in Atlanta and it's my 11th birthday downtown. Walk outside and a yellow slant-back with big wheels and tires, 5th tire covered with a cargo net, comes rolling out of an alley and drives right past. First time seeing one in person and if I wasnt already hooked, I am now.

2007 - On my first deployment as a line medic with the 82nd and it's my birthday again. Medics werent allowed to drive and one of my guys in the same truck "Hey Sgt - it's doc's birthday and he really wants to drive a humvee....." "God-dammit Carol, get up here" (this was our platoon sergeant who just finished being a drill sergeant right before deployment - he was a car guy and would claim that it was in reference to Carroll Shelby) So 22nd birthday at ~3 in the morning, I'm driving my first humvee with night vision, a rhino, and a trailer through Baghdad...the one and only time that happened. Once back in the states I would drive the ambulances around for field problems and what not.

2021 - started the hunt when the auctions first happened and could never figure out the plating situation. Finally had a buddy that had done it, was having another kid, and asked if I was interested in buying his. Missed the trend of doing it at 33, but at 35 aint too bad.

Thanks for the site! Tons of good information already. Look forward to using it and contributing back.

Take care!
Welcome to the outfit "Carroll" and happy that you joined the group.
Looking forward to having your new-to-you truck pictured here!

Being called Shelby is pretty neat...
Nice bunch of guys that gave you really cool birthday present!

Dude82

Welcome to the outfit "Carroll" and happy that you joined the group.
Looking forward to having your new-to-you truck pictured here!

Being called Shelby is pretty neat...
Nice bunch of guys that gave you really cool birthday present!
I still keep in contact with him, and he stills calls me Carroll, haha. 20210508_151536.jpg20210404_195912.jpg20210807_182410.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks