• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member, looking for my retirement project.

jcee

I looked for a TM that would give me design dimensions but didn't find anything. I don't suppose the manufacturer released any of the design specs either.

jcee

Ok, here goes. I'm sure I'll have many in disagreement but I'm rethinking using the LMTV/FMTV/MTV for my retirement off road RV. I have read and re-read every post I can find on these MV's and the ones that stuck out were the posst about modifications to the drivetrain. It basically stated why are owners re-engineering the truck when so much was put into the design by the engineers that designed the truck. Are gearing changes the correct thing to do to this truck? Are any drivetrain mods safe?

I'm looking for an MV that I could get into in Pennsylvania and drive anywhere in this great nation attending SS gatherings, swap meets, MV shows, visiting friends and family all over the country and if I want to wake up on top of a mountain simply to see the sunrise I can do so. I see posts on being top heavy, slow on the road, unsafe on wet roads, fast axles good/not good, engine not made to sustain highway speeds for long distances, top interstate speeds of 55 and a myriad of issues.

What I'm asking is this, would any of you existing owners feel comfortable doing any of the above over long distances? Would you feel safe taking the wife or a child/grandchild with you? Is this a "jump in and go" vehicle. I want to push the button, hear and feel the power then put it in drive and go. Fully self contained, dependent on no one and nothing but what I have with me.

So, what do you guys think. Am I headed down the right path in looking at this truck or should I move on. I'm looking for any and all opinions. Especially from you owners that feel that any of the detractors are wrong. Don't just b**ch about others opinions. Tell me why.

Bring it on. I think I'd rather walk that do it in an off the lot RV.

Shark Bait

I've had my LMTV just over two years. I've done no modifications to it. I changed the engine oil, diffs and front axle ends. I'm going to change transmission fluid to Dexron 3 or equal. The truck rides well on the new Goodyears that were on it.the little Cat doesn't do too bad here in the mountains, a little sluggish on the bigger steep ones, but I can live with it. It's not broke, don't fix it. It'll run just over 55mph on the highway but will tend to kick the fan on more often. 45-50mph seems to be the happy spot. I do have a couple M1082 trailers and I often pull one just because it's there. The trailer is just over 7,000lbs I believe, it tows great but on said mountains you know it's there. It stops on a dime. I've never experienced the wet road issues but have only driven it in the rain a couple times. Out of my MV's it is the most comfortable to drive, HET being the second then it's a toss up between the M931A2's and my MK48, they bounce. Lol. I've nott Amen a long trip but have put a few thousand miles on it. Overall, if, I were going to take a long trip in any of my trucks it would the LMTV my kids like it and the air ride cab is pretty smooth.

Dave

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion: Generally, military trucks are under powered, and under geared for large distance explorations. The main reason many of us collect and modify OD trucks is the low entry cost, compared to an equivalent OTR truck.

Also, MV's are usually less comfortable to operate and require more attention to improving the driving experience.

Having said that, those facts don't stop many of us from repowering and/or regearing a MV for our purposes. In a way, it's a great alternative to slowly build a capable vehicle vs purchase one outright.

jcee

Dave/rchalmes3, thanks for the responses. I couldn't agree more with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. Also, yea they're military vehicles purpose built and not necessarily suited for a grocery getter but you know how it works. If it's got wheels ya gotta' try. Like takin' your an old Wheel Horse lawn tractor wheelin'. Yep. Done that. Dad not extremely happy with #1 son.

The new fluids are many times better at lubrication and cooling and that's one of the most important things to initially tackle. Goin' from the Michelins to the more highway friendly Goodyear's is probably next.

Dave, what was the deal with the hub ends?

jcee

Lmtv772, I'm not looking for a specific design spec. I was referring to a post about re-engineering the truck. It goes along with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The vehicle is very road worthy my concern is more the long, long road worthy.

jcee

Lmtv772, Sorry, wrong post reference. I was looking for the frame width outside to outside. Need to match up dry cargo van box frame to LMTV frame.

Thanks, Jim

jcee

Only if you're near yours and remember. No big yank.

The odds of finding a commercial box that's the same are probably slim to none.

Thanks!

Shark Bait

Dave/rchalmes3, thanks for the responses. I couldn't agree more with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. Also, yea they're military vehicles purpose built and not necessarily suited for a grocery getter but you know how it works. If it's got wheels ya gotta' try. Like takin' your an old Wheel Horse lawn tractor wheelin'. Yep. Done that. Dad not extremely happy with #1 son.

The new fluids are many times better at lubrication and cooling and that's one of the most important things to initially tackle. Goin' from the Michelins to the more highway friendly Goodyear's is probably next.

Dave, what was the deal with the hub ends?
The axle ends with the gearing need lube. The rear axle shares lubricant with rear differential, as long as it's full to spec the gears will get lube. However, the front axle ends are not shared with front differential. It needs to be checked regularly and to not run dry. I've talked to a few who theirs were dry. I checked and filled mine when I got it.

Dave

jcee

Outstanding! Thanks aleigh for the frame measurements. Now I have a starting point for my cargo box. Also, Dave, thank you for the hub info. Didn't pick up on the hub lube issues. I need to read more TM's. If it wouldn't cost the earth a few more trees I'd print them and catalog everything in a mobile library. They would go where the truck goes.

Anybody know if there's a TM resource on CD/DVD?

coachgeo

Anybody know if there's a TM resource on CD/DVD?
Might try to copy them along with a PDF reader of your choice to a thumb drive or CD/Dvd. Choose a PDF reader with a good search feature. You could even put on the drive a small linux operating system which would allow you to boot up for access to the files on about computer..... even ones with a snafued hard drive.

update: LOL..... seems two of us posted nearly same info at same time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks