• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member-New Project

m37brat

Hi all, I am new to Steel Soldiers with a new project. after many years of looking I found a very nice M43 ambulance in very restorable condition. I look forward to checking in for help and hints to help move my little project forward.

I haven't figured out how to post pictures in threads on this site so if you would like to see the little lady I have posted a few pictures in the album section.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/m37brat-albums-my-m43-ambulance-project.html

If anyone on the site served in Vietnam and has pictures of M43 from the era, I would love to see them. Also anyone who served in the 44th Medical Brigade and has any stories please share them with me.

Thanks Jim

:grin:

zak

Here's my project. Body is ready to come off the frame. Need to build a cradle for the body lift. I've been distracted by a 47 cj and lack ambition. I recommend pulling out the old insulation between the body panels as it seems to be a critter and water magnet. The ones in the cab ceiling were filled with mouse crap and were wet from the roof seem leaking. My seems are in very good shape with only a tiny bit of rust, but enough to soak the insulation.

Attachments

m37brat

welcome to ss! m43's rock, i wish i had one!!

I have wanted one since I left Vietnam. Every one I found was too far away to buy. I stumbled across this one over a discussion over the spare on the door on my M37B1. I've only had it a week but have had a ball playing with it already.

ralbelt

That is a great M43, very complete, I looked at it a few years ago but I do not have a building large enough for it to be stored in and restored.
Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted on it.

M-37Bruce

Pic Posting

Hey Jim, So you got the fever, double now, good for you! I was stationed at the 6217th USAF Hospital on CCk from 1969 to 1971 we had a 1/2 dozen or so M-43's, as well as two R-2's.
I never took a pic of one them? We were 6 minutes from the flight line. As far as posting a pic here, before you choose your thread subscription and hit Submit or Preview, another box marked "Manage Attachments", click on that & follow the prompts, pic your pic, attach & upload it.
If you need some help, send it to me, I'll get it posted for you?

m37brat

Hey Jim, So you got the fever, double now, good for you! I was stationed at the 6217th USAF Hospital on CCk from 1969 to 1971 we had a 1/2 dozen or so M-43's, as well as two R-2's.
I never took a pic of one them? We were 6 minutes from the flight line. As far as posting a pic here, before you choose your thread subscription and hit Submit or Preview, another box marked "Manage Attachments", click on that & follow the prompts, pic your pic, attach & upload it.
If you need some help, send it to me, I'll get it posted for you?

Thanks for the info Bruce.

As for the fever, I've had it for a while now, Besides the M43 I have a very nice and 100% original M37 and a very presentable M38 with a M416 trailer. I have wanted the M43 since Vietnam. I really lucked out when I found this one. The guy I bought it from was super to deal with and the truck was so nice I didn't even consider haggling..