• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member of the M109 A3 Family, but not for long!

Wicked Enzo

Hello all, I have been trolling around here for a while and finally decided to go get ma deuce. I am bobbing it all work being done by myself with help from friends. Bought a M109 A3 from GL on Sept 16 and finally got to go get it in Fort Knox, KY earlier this week. My friend and I left out on 10/31 and drove the 500 miles to Fort Knox. Got to the base @ 7:30 am on 11/01 and it took over 1.5 hours to get to the DRMO because NOBODY on base knew the names of the streets to get us to the DRMO. Finally got there and they had ma deuce running so we loaded her up and chained her down. Measured and we were 13'9" which is 3 solid inches above height requirements. So we let 3.5" of air out of the tires and set off for home. Painless, simple drive home for the next 11.5 hours. Got home about 11:30 in the pouring rain and I decided to leave her on the trailer until morning.

Well she got unloaded on Wed. 11/3 and there wasn't a single drop of any fluids on the trailer at all. YES! So I have unbolted the mud flaps and the M109 box and removed it. Having a brake problem, where I can only stop with the last 1/2" of brake pedal. I am holding air and I have already drained the tanks of any fluid, which there was only about 3 Tb of oil came out. I will keep SS updated with pics and mods as they come along. -J

Attachments

Wicked Enzo

Brakes bleed, and have a SOLID brake pedal now. Drove my dad around for a bit, and its so nice to be able to see what's behind you with the M109 box off. The brake situation didn't take long so I went ahead and took apart the trailer today as well. I Just sat it on the frame of the deuce so I can move it to a different shop to get the rear suspension off. -J

Attachments

rango

i am not trying to be rude, but why do so many people purchase m109s or other non truck bed variants then cut them? why not start off with a m35?

that being said, nice truck and good luck, looked like a clean 109 to start with

Wicked Enzo

I bought a 109 because it went for a very reasonable price, and was in running condition when I won the auction. After I saw how neat the 109's are I almost stopped with the bob, but that just means I started with a good truck to begin with. Deuces in whatever variation are AWESOME!!!

KsM715

:ditto: You use whatever you can find at a reasonable price. The better the truck to start the less you have to put into it to finish it.

rango

i guess im partial to keeping things as original as possible, and the fact i would kill for a fully intact m109 prolly has something to do with my dislike of watching one "go to waste" in my eyes

Wicked Enzo

Kill is strong wording since they are on GL all the time. I was patient and got a good looking, running truck for a great price and it just so happened to be a 109. The box is pretty rough, but I understand where you are coming from, because I have those same feelings for other things. -J:jumpin:

Last edited:

rango

my desire for a 109 stems from my business, automotive repair, i have already mapped out the dimensions of the shop box and have a mobile shop planned out so ill say id "greatly harm" for one lol, but like i said good luck with the bob, and all mvs are awesome regardless of condition lol