• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member - prospective M1009 owner from CA

TawClaw

Hello from California! I've lurked threads on this forum long enough that I decided to finally make an account and introduce myself.

Right now I drive a 2001 Subaru, but am looking at finding an M1009 to buy this summer. I have a few questions and figured this is the perfect place to ask, I'll include them here in my introduction.

Reasons I'm interested in an M1009: I want a vehicle that I can do my own maintenance, modifications, and some repairs myself. I prioritise ruggedness and repairability over creatures comfort (AC/smooth ride/low noise). I'm a fan of the Detroit 6.2 (lol) and will be making my own biodiesel to run it with - I work at a restaurant and have access to waste cooking oil [thumbzup] I go camping/backpacking as often as I can spare the time and have reached the limits of where my Subaru can take me - I've got stuck twice and popped two CV joints in the last year of ownership. I wouldn't mind spending lots of time doing my own maintinence on the car since I enjoy mechanical and DIY tasks. I live with two engineers who are into it also. So after combing through the internet I've decided the M1009 (or a low mileage K5 diesel) suits my needs the best. They're also just cool. I don't care if it's slow - I already drive slowly to maximize gas mileage and minimize drivetrain wear and tear. Going 55-60mph on the freeway with loud wind noise + vibration wouldn't phase me.

My questions if anyone has a spare moment to help me out:

1) How intensive is the maintenance on these vehicles? I wouldn't mind spending some cash and putting in a few hours of work every couple weeks to keep it running in top mechanical shape, but wouldn't want to own it if is going to be a huge money pit that can't drive half the time. Does the M1009 fit this description? I'd be using it as my daily to/from work and school and can't afford for it to be out of commission very often. Parts - cheap or expensive? What would be some large expenses (over $300 in parts) I might be looking at after buying an M1009?

2) Where are the best places to look for one to buy? I've read a lot about gov't auctions but can't find many examples online - anyone care to point me in the direction of some sites that sell/auction M1009's? So far I've just been combing through craigslist and there is a decent if limited selection. Do people on this site sell M1009's often?

3) I see people asking for around $4-6k for an M1009, is this about what I should be offering? I won't be purchasing the vehicle until June but would like to know what my target price ought to be.

I'll be putting 33 inch tires, rock sliders, and a winch at a minimum, not convinced I really need a lift. Anyone have experience with Off Road Design custom lift springs? They claim 11" vertical travel which is pretty impressive for leaf springs.

Thanks to anyone who helps out and greetings to everyone on the forum!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS, the best thing to do is keep reading threads . With the exception of the dual alternators and 24 Volt starter and related start system , they are just a 1984 J code K5 blazer (all were built to 1984 specs). They are pretty much done coming out of government auctions except for forest service trucks which are usually projects. They have 3.08 gear ratio's so they are not a powerhouse but do alright on the highway. Having a spare starter and alternator is a good idea so you don't have to order them if needed maybe a few other parts . Download and read the Tm's and get to know as much as you can before buying , you will end up with a better truck .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks