• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member, What size pintle hitch, Land Rover

lhofeld

Hello,
I have been lurking for a few weeks getting information on the M101 series of trailers and recently won one through GL. My question is what rating of pintle hitch do I need to pull and M101A2. I have a 10K Holland but I do not know if that is adequatefor pulling a fully loaded M101A2 which I know will happen at some time in the future. Also I am sure that this is not the right spot but I did not see one that I thought would fit But I am attaching pics of my Series 3 Land Rover Light Weight. This is my first military vehicle and I am sure not my last.

Thanks

Lhofeld.

blybrook

Welcome to SS & yes, this was the right forum sub-directory.

A 10k pintle (10000 lb) will be more than sufficient to pull a fully loaded M101. A fully loaded trailer will still be under 5000lb, so you'll have at least a 2.0 factor of safety.

Just make sure the receiver on the land rover is a minimum of Class 3 for the loads. That could be your limiting factor as the pintle you've got on hand will not be an issue. You'll want to ensure that the pintle attachment point will be as strong as the pintle you are using.

I tow my M101A2 with a 12k pintle mounted through a Class V receiver. Same hitch is used for a fully loaded M105A2. The assembly is more than strong enough.

KsM715

Welcom to SteelSoldiers for Kansas.

Thas a sweet lightweight you have there. I learned to drive in my dads LandRover. It wasnt a lightweight but still a kick-ass vehicle. I will someday own an ex-MOD RHD Rover

lhofeld

I had initially thought I was buying the trailer to go with the lightweight but after learning more about the it I decided my tacoma would be the primary puller. I needed a trailer that was larger than my bed but smaller than the car hauler that is availble to me. Right now my lightweight is sitting in pieces getting ready to go through a frame up rebuild. They are great vehicles that can go about anywhere. I generally see driving as a chore but I like to drive the Rover.