• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member with M1008 question

petekoloz

Hi to all from sunny fl-
I have a 1986 M1008 w/6.2 .
Can anyone advise me regarding the tee that is connected to the vacuum pump?
One barb appears to be left open, should it be capped?

joshuak

Welcome to the site petekolz, check out the manuals for your truck found here.

In regards to your question, TM9-2320-289-20P or Unit maintenance and depot maintenance parts and special tool lists for CUCV, page 34 Figure 10, shows that the tee should be... capped.

Enjoy your vehicle!

petekoloz

Thanks to all for the helpful replies and the welcome.
@ Rick - my second purchase was twenty magnesium arches of the truck maintenance tent variety (of which I'm currently using 7 to form a 20'X48' tent ) and I think my next buy should be a wrecker.IMG_20150829_174145.jpg

Gripy

Hi to all from sunny fl-
I have a 1986 M1008 w/6.2 .
Can anyone advise me regarding the tee that is connected to the vacuum pump?
One barb appears to be left open, should it be capped?
Yes it should be capped. Line from vac pump. then the line to the Vacuum regulator on the IP.

petekoloz

Thanks to all, after capping that barb the truck is shifting into 2nd at 25mph and into 3rd at 35mph. Much better. I've also found that I can force the shift a little sooner by backing off the accelerator momentarily when I'm nearing the shift speed, this makes for a much gentler shift.
I bought this truck in 2002 and it just turned the odometer over a few days ago. I recently erected a magnesium frame truck maintenance tent using 7 arches. I used 2 sets of 4 ft purlins that came with the arches and I fabricated 4 sets of 10ft purlins from fence pipe, welding 2inch washers to the ends bearing 7/16" bolts/nuts to fit the established method of attachment. Used vinyl billboard tarps make the cover:

IMG_20150829_174145.jpg
20'W X 48'L X 14'H
Here's how I stretched the vinyl to eliminate water pockets along the peak:
IMG_20150905_083709.jpg

Last edited:

petekoloz

Is your tranny shifting funny?
Yes it was, real hard and it would bark the tires going into 2nd and third...
Also, I'm battling a recurring case of front-end Death Wobble by replacing the Rancho stabilizer shock every 15k miles or so. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to double up on those things and maybe that will cure it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks