• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Memeber, New to MV, Need M101 Advice Please

bob95065

As the title states I am new to Military Vehicles and new to this forum.

I am interested in a M101 series trailer for hauling firewood. I have a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a Cummins diesel engine that I will use to pull the trailer.

I searched the forum for information on M101 trailers. I think the M101A2 would best meet my needs. I am interested in a trailer that I can get parts for easily. It seems like the m101A2 would be easier to get tires and rims for than a A1 or A3. Is this true?

Are parts available for the brake systems on these trailers? I am thinking about the master cylinder, shoes and brake hardware in particular. What about the wheel bearings and hubs? I am a mechanic so labor isn't a problem. If I can't get parts my skills are useless.

Is there anything in particular I should look for when I am looking at trailers? From the forum the bows and tarps are expensive to replace. I have read stories of locked brakes and bearings. Also the front of the box tends to rust out first. Out here in California rust isn't as big a problem as back east so it shouldn’t be as big a concern. Is there anything else I should look for?

Any help that you can give me is a appreciated. We heat our house with wood and a heavy duty trailer such as a the M101A2 is a welcome addition to my fleet. I want to make as educated a purchase as I can so I can get the trailer to work ASAP.

Thanks,

Bob Elliott

KsM715

All parts are readily available (especially easy if your a member here) and the a2 and a3 will take the same 8lug wheels. The a3 just has more room for HMMWV wheels but it will take a standard 8 lug that the a2 has.

number9

Deciding factor for me is the A2 is 45"'between the fenderwells and the A3 is 55". 10" is a lot of room. You can change the HMMWV wheels out for standard GM 8-lug wheels you could prob find in most any junkyard or craigslist.

Nonotagain

Deciding factor for me is the A2 is 45"'between the fenderwells and the A3 is 55". 10" is a lot of room. You can change the HMMWV wheels out for standard GM 8-lug wheels you could prob find in most any junkyard or craigslist.

To me that's the main reason to get the A3 trailer.
I own three M101a3 trailers. Two of the three I retained the HMMWV running stock on, the third uses civi tires, 245x75-16's load range E.
I like the lowered loading height for most applications, but there are times when I go off-road for firewood the extra ground clearance of the HMMWV tires and raised axle make a difference.
My vote goes to the A3.

amaverick88

I would say either a2 or a3 just because rims are easier to find. Also I would get one with an adjustable landing leg instead of the non adjustable landing leg.

number9

I would say either a2 or a3 just because rims are easier to find. Also I would get one with an adjustable landing leg instead of the non adjustable landing leg.
Yes - the non-crank landing leg sucks! I've got an M116A2 chassis trailer with it and I won't buy another trailer without the crank type landing leg, won't even consider them.